Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counter-Edge
As a passive that also requires a skill slot. Counter-Edge has rarely seen the light of day in a class that is extremely SP intensive and requires 5 SP for its full effects.

Would it be too much to ask if Counter-Edge was changed to the following?

Counter-Edge (3 SP)
[list=]Rank 1 - Bonus Damage: 10%
Rank 2 - Bonus Damage: 15%
Rank 3 - Bonus Damage: 20%[/list]

The intention is that Riposte would do 70% damage and Sheath Sword would do 120% of the usual damage while also reducing the total SP cost. (Or keeping the 5 SP Total)

My reasoning behind this change is that Counter-Edge is rarely ever worth it due to the SP cost and minor effect overall. (Only +25 damage to Riposte/Sheath Sword at max rank.) But the thematic of running a counter focused character would be an appealing one if it was more viable.
I can get behind this, though I should note that the intended function proposed technically provides only 10% damage to riposte given its always a 50% reduction, which is probably for the best too since Riposte can get a bit unwieldy with certain on-hit effects, and triggers alongside Sheath Sword's Quick-draw! effect anyways.
Spoops post_id=38574 time=1577413646 user_id=193 Wrote:I can get behind this, though I should note that the intended function proposed technically provides only 10% damage to riposte given its always a 50% reduction, which is probably for the best too since Riposte can get a bit unwieldy with certain on-hit effects, and triggers alongside Sheath Sword's Quick-draw! effect anyways.

Entirely fair, Riposte is a lot less specific compared to Sheath Sword. I think it's for the best as well.
I also like to point out, if this was intended to buff Counter-Edge, that you are probably dealing less damage with this change than in the current version.

Lets go with a mid-ball 120 SWA, Riposte-> 60 damage. With the current version it gets +25 so 85
->With the new version it would be 20% of 60so only 72 total damage.

So it would be a nerf overall.
Counter-Edge should be changed to an additional damage tick, not a bonus to Riposte damage.

Like how on-hit effects work. Damage, then additional slash damage.

I also agree that the SP costs should go down.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I can get behind it being an additional slash tick but I think the majority of the flavor from counter-edge is improving the damage on your Riposte/Sheath Sword's actual hit so I'd prefer if it was a damage buff to that instead.

Good point though Shujin, I didn't think that through; I mostly had sheath sword in mind when I suggested this. It could probably have a flat number attached to the damage bonus, 6~ per rank should do the trick with my previously proposed change.
I feel like diversifying its effects might be the best route to improving counter edge. Maybe keeping the current damage bonus value, but at rank 5 any counter hit generates 1 additional momentum than normal?
Duelist doesn't need more ways to generate momentum.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]