Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youkai Suggestions
With the release of ascensions for Seiryu and Byakko, I figured now's a good time to throw some suggestions for new youkai. The current roster seems very stagnant, with many youkai not seeing use at all. These might spice things up. As with all idea posts from myself, these aren't meant to be balanced right from the jump. Most likely they would need to be tweaked, but at least it gives something to spitball off of. With that being said...

Suzaku

Race: Avian

Skills

God Blaze Cannon
A stream of scorching, divine flames. A line based projectile 5 tiles in front of the user that deals damage equal to the caster's WIL + Suzaku's level. Has a chance to inflict burn LV X (X is Suzaku's LV/2).

Seal of the South
Crest of the ruler of the South. If the owner of this skill is closer to the South side of the battlefield they gain +2 WIL

Immortal Phoenix
One who is reborn by fire. If the owner of this skill is defeated on top of a Cinder tile, they revive with X% of their HP where X is the LV of the Cinder tile they were defeated on. One can revive with a maximum of Suzaku's level x 5 HP this way. Can only trigger once per battle.

===

Genbu

Race: Mystic

Skills

Wave of Judgment
A crushing and relentless wave of water. A 5 tile wide wall of water centered at the user extends and deals damage equal to the caster's VIT + Genbu's level. Those hit are pushed until the end of the attack's trajectory. It extends 5 tiles by default, up to 7 with increased FP cost per extra tile.

Seal of the North
Crest of the ruler of the North. If the owner of this skill is closer to the North side of the battlefield they gain +2 DEF.

Ruler of Tides
One who governs the seas. The owner of this skill is immune to Dark Water tiles.

===

(Ideally this next youkai would only be summonable by an item, similar to the items for Vampire Legume and Firefox.
Kouryuu

Race: Dragon

Skills

Quaking Soul
A tremor that ravages the earth. Deals magical Earth damage in a circle around the user equal to the caster's DEF + Kouryuu's level. Destroys special tiles in the area of effect.

Seal of the Center
Crest of the ruler of all seasons. If the summoner has contracted all four of Seiryuu, Byakko, Suzaku, and Genbu, Kouryuu gains +5 DEF, +5 RES and +5 SAN. This also applies to the summoner if they install Kouryuu.

Divine Golden Scales
Covered in heavenly scales, increasing armor and magic armor by 5 each.
About the only thing I could note about any of these suggestions is...

Well, first, and probably least important, the names for youkai spells already in the game seem fairly simple, even for Seiryuu and Byakko. It's entirely personal preference, but I feel like it might be better to keep things simple for them whenever possible.

Second, both of the "Seal" skills have been changed to apply at all times now, so that should probably apply to these, as well.

Third... Suzaku's (presumably) install-only skill seems a tad too powerful? Immortal Phoenix recovering up to 300 HP in one go might be excessive, especially when it can end up on a tank or someone with a way to mitigate fire damage substantially. In smaller fights, it's unlikely that you'll die over cinders if you resist fire damage anyway, but in larger team fights, it's entirely possible. Reviving with that much health at that point more or less has the other side pray they can deal enough damage in time to knock them out again before they use a potion or healing skill.

Aside from that, I think the idea's neat, at least. I certainly wouldn't be against more youkai, though I'm fairly sure someone would need to icon them as well.