Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fluid Fluer
As it stands Fluer is a take it or die kind of passive, and often times builds will use it and then not even care about what they do with the rest of their turn, crit and just auto hit twice or use a skill to flee ect and it's part of something that makes kiting as melee extremely...present.

What if, say, instead of giving you 2m on a crit, it gave you normal momentum but gave one crit momentum reset, where you can crit and gain 1 more momentum, advocating the idea of a more fluid combat style and keeping the result the same for actually embracing the duelist spirit and adrenaline, it won't get rid of the possibility of kiting with side cut or anything but it'll make it harder to just walk up to someone and still get two actions against them.
What are you suggesting, exactly?

Say, a duelist starts with 7M.
They approach someone, leaving them at 4M
They attack, and don't get fleur - but end up at 2M - assuming they pass the checks for crit.

How are they supposed to use that reset? I'm not sure I understand,
The current way Fleur works is only fine because it'd function much different any other way, there's no way to actually change Fleur without ruining how duelist plays nearly entirely, so it just being main class is a fine enough restriction for it, if it helps any better, 1v1 isn't as strong of a passive anymore, making classes such as Martial Artist or Rogue have more damage/damage resistance potential than a duelist might, giving them more allure.
to be fair the ideal goal in mind was to prevent some rather hard hitting first turns or kiting, but I won't try to fight too hard on the point, ideally I was going for "duelists benefiting more from dueling" logic overall the suggestion wouldn't completely change fluer but make it play more into duels and less on kiting.
I'd rather them be rewarded for standing in an opponent's attack range rather than take away their viability in a serious fight because of some arbitrary unfairness that comes from kiting away.
If fluer made crits reset crit tracking instead of giving and additional momentum once you'd end up in a world where people use (and abuse) Aoe basic attacks to net more momentum gained from multiple crits, and multi hit attacks like wild ride that can crit multiple times.

This would make Flue really only good for countering Groups, Pet/construct/summon users and pve.

If you want to see what this would be like, unequip your weapon, bare fists don't have crit tracking at all, the most janky thing you can do with them is drink a crash potion and attack some alpha jammers for a hilarious amount of momentum.
Kind of related, I've always thought that Fleur works in a way that's not entirely healthy. Duelist is kind of a must-pick for basic attackers solely because of its existence. More recently I had thought about it more and asked, "What would it be like if it was either A: Removed from the game entirely, or B: Everyone has fleur globally (like evasion).

The reaction from most that I asked wasn't pleased with either idea, but liked the former far more than the latter. I doubt either would happen at this point, and I think most still likely won't like either of these ideas, but I think either or would result in a more healthy experience for basic attackers. It would allow for more creativity overall and let people free themselves from duelist once and for all. Unless they wanted to use it for the other things it offers, of course.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]
I definitely think fleur's a little too much as it currently stands, but I don't think removing it or giving it to everyone is the proper solution. Then again, I don't really have any solutions. There's not much of a way to change fleur without making it even more stupidly broken or making it entirely worthless, aside from maybe if the game had more 2M skills.
[Image: unknown.png]
To be more clear, when I said my idea I meant it like it gives you *One* reset for the current weapon, but only that weapon *Where the result would remain the same if you crit twice*

No extra crits, nothing crazy. I just mean like if you score two crits with your trademarked tarnada you got you whole fluer without requiring a second weapon and without heavily changing flow. It's not my intent to make it stronger nor kill it just make it..."Balance"? after that second crit the tarnada won't be useful for 1m more for that round as per usual, though a second weapon will be good for 1 1m crit gain, which wouldn't be very helpful but hey.

Also I definitely disagree, fluer does not belong to everyone because too many builds can ruin your day getting a third action, that's part of why I want to minimize kiting with this idea in the first place.
You can tell Fleur has been accounted for in future class designs with 1 momentum movement and other action economy passives like combination fighter and chimera stance.

Fleur's in a fine position where it currently stands, if you're having issue resisting crits and dying to duelists as a result of that then you can always rely on something like slash/pierce resistance to assist in that regard. That will basically completely deny fleur.