Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unnamed Town
Getting myself aquainted with the map maker, I decided to play around and use the Old Cellsvich map as a template and loose inspiration for a completely different town. The layout is very much similar, though the atmosphere and detail has seen a visual overhaul, to create the feel of an entirely different town, where the small scale of things makes it feel cozy. Now, while this was my introduction to the map maker, I've come to be pretty proud of what I've created so far.

Any feedback is welcome. I'd like to make this the best I can, so whatever people think might make a neat addition, or improvement to this map, I'd like to hear opinions.

Attached Files
.png   Town.PNG (Size: 349.5 KB / Downloads: 459)
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
The Town

Exterior

.png   Tavern Floor.PNG (Size: 69.36 KB / Downloads: 404)

The town is small in layout, and resembles the layout of Old Cellsvich to a good degree - this wasn't done out of laziness, mind you, but in the hope that I could give at least a slight feeling of Nostalgia with it. Of course, in visual everything is completely different - instead of walls this city is loosely surrounded by fences, and there aren't any additional districts. Instead, each path is intended to lead out of the city.

The topmost right building with the table behind it is "The Rabbit's Rest" - A tavern (that likely wouldn't be staffed, allowing players to run it, if they wish). The building on the left is simply a house you can visit, not owned by any player. Now, I suppose people probably won't be RPing there - or maybe they will, but I think it gives the place a little more identity, like the unowned houses in Cellsvich that you can walk into. Gives you an idea of what sort of living space denizens of the town would have.

There's a well down in the bottom left - though contrary to popular belief, it doesn't store water. No, in fact, if you were to peer in, you'd see a ladder you can climb down, into a hidden grotto sort of cave. Might be a nice place for RP for some of you, but I thought it would add neat flavour to the place overall. There's also a river in the top right. (Maybe you can fish there? Idk, depends on if that could be implemented.)

Interior

The Rabbit's Rest

.png   The Town.PNG (Size: 364.03 KB / Downloads: 442)

A tavern found in this town. It's not too big, and has a bar and tables for characters to sit at, so may be best for RPing as a group. Perhaps you can fluff your characters as working there (though I imagine you'd be better off not just trying to claim it as your own business), and throw up an LFP to attract people to come spend time with you! Perhaps you just want a place to go with friends and discuss stuff. Either way, I hope it suits people for RP well enough!

.png   Storage.PNG (Size: 51.5 KB / Downloads: 429)

There's even a storage area up top you can visit. Now, it's somewhat small, but if you can find a use for it, it's there!

[Post 1/3 - Ran out of Attachment Space]
Interior [Continued]

The House

.png   Well.PNG (Size: 42.67 KB / Downloads: 406)

There isn't really much to say about this place. It's a very simple house fit for someone to live in. There's a living space, a bit of kitchen, a desk to work at, a bed... There's even lights and a window in there. I just wanted an additional building for people to be able to enter in this small town, so this was created. Nice and cozy - at least to me!

Underwell Cave

.png   House.PNG (Size: 89.09 KB / Downloads: 434)

If you're unfortunate enough to fall into the well - or decide to descend down, you'll find yourself in what seems to be a small cave underneath, leading to a grassy little area with water. It's a nice, small place that I hope people will enjoy - and perhaps there's use for it in your RP, too. Maybe for a touching moment, a villain's last stand, etc. The choice is yours! There's a handy ladder to help you find your way back up into the town, too.

[2/3]
The Files

Since this seems to be as far as I can go for the moment, I've provided the files for the exterior and interior map in a handy little zip - alongside the new tileset made to get the right coloration on the borders of interior stuff. Am unsure on whether or not I should be submitting them openly or not, so I've decided to submit them to Dev privately. From there on it's up to them whether or not they want to implement it.

This was fun, though! I think more people should look into the map maker. From my experience, beyond locations of tiles being cluttered and having to remember to use dense tiles, this wasn't /that/ difficult to do. Perhaps that's just me, though.

[3/3]
For the signs it might be better if you use the ones used in voilgarde and have them next to the house rather than on top.
-------------------------------------------------
[Image: 1599085341408.gif]
That would require rearranging things a bit, and that's not an in-built object either, meaning I'd have to search for those extra tiles, too - which is not ideal. Honestly, I think it'll be fine this way. Imo it's not worth sacrificing much to make them fit in when they're going to stick out regardless.
It looks nice, like a little rural village. I do have a bit of criticism to offer, though.

For one, the fence doesn't add much to the map, outside of making it look incredibly blocky. I know it's supposed to resemble old Cellsvich as a map, but it makes the village feel unnecessarily restricted. Likewise does the river in the top right look a bit too angular for my taste-- not very natural.

Overall a good-looking map. Having more player houses is always a plus.
Taking into consideration that feedback, the fences of the town were removed and the river was given a less blocky, more uneven look, to make it seem a little bit more natural. The top left house was also expanded out a little, to make it feel less out of place. Aside from that, some shifting of trees and adding of flowers to fill the feeling of empty space that came from removing the fences was also done. Here's what it looks like now:

.png   Town2.PNG (Size: 359.5 KB / Downloads: 361)