Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coyote 2 Crazy(or is it?)
The Crazy Coyote is a weapon well known for its power.  It outperforms multishot weapons in statless damage with combos like overcharge>blaze shell>double tap, grants mobility seen only in Ranger, has incredible base power along with the passive benefits that come with being a shotgun like Double Barrel(+10 hit with a negligible downside), One-Shot Wonder(+25 power to shotguns, applies per shot- so twice for the crazy coyote's Double Tap) and One-Hit KO(KD opponents Crit within one range)- the last of which particularly synergizes with Coyote's Rolling Shot, allowing you to zoom in from range and KD an opponent with the basic.

I'm not going to argue Coyote should be nerfed.  Because, simply enough, from what I understand- the playerbase likes coyote as is.  I've only very rarely heard complaints about coyote.  But when we think on that....

...I rarely ever hear anything at all about other shotguns.  The basic shotgun, in comparison to coyote, has 10% more skill scaling, 10 more accuracy, 30% less guile scaling, and 5 less power.

So, in sheer damage, the coyote will always win out, pretty much- as long as you run any amount of guile over twenty or so, which is already a boon to guns.  And maybe that's reasonable, considering it's a base weapon, and not a nine star?  But if we look at Magical Nova...

Magical Nova is a spelledge weapon with 50 will, 50 skill.  It's sort of a weird weapon, and I'd call it kinda useful and fun....  But a crippling flaw with it is the miniscule base power.  Eight base power, compared to ten from the base shotgun.  It does have arguably better scaling, but Will is a stat that's hard to pump for anyone wanting to basic attack with the weapon.  

Now, of course, it is spell edge.  And Will Scaling on Spell Edge tends to work out well enough since you want will anyway, right?  It *should*.  Take a Hexer/MG approach with the Magical Nova.  Arcane Gun increases that scaling to 50/75 skill/will, and you'll want to stack both of those stats for Hexer infliction anyway.  It sounds great and appealing, but-

But, still, the Magical Nova struggles to actually use that SWA for spells.  Remember that as a gun, the Magical Nova's power upgrades only apply to basic attacks.  So autohits, and by extension spells, are always going to be a step behind.  Combined with the poor customizability for power in guns(Short Barrel and Piercing Bullets being the only options), and the Magical Nova hardly catches up to similar weapons.  Nine times out of ten, it's better to just run a tome and a gun, like a Seed Sniper and a Custom Tome- so that's exactly what people do.

So, the Magical Nova almost manages to be good.  But I think it's arguable that most spelledge weapons hit that weird, almost bluebally point.  There's one more shotgun that should shine just as well as the Coyote, though.

The Corvis Cannon.

This is honestly a hard weapon to address.  Once in a while, you honestly do get to see some cool stuff with it, but not really often enough, I feel.  The Corvis Cannon covers a struck opponent in black feathers, and when an opponent covered in feathers is struck by wind damage, they go airborne.  Finally, shooting an opponent that is airborne with a corvis cannon deals 49 unresistable wind damage, which is pretty hefty.

It's not exactly weak, with a cool effect like that- you can always do something like running Elemental Augment and proccing Wind damage after every shot to make opponents go airborne.  But at most- if your opponent has misplayed and you're in a punish state, you proc two instances of that, for a total of 98 damage.  Usually, you won't pull off even that much.

There's also the abysmal scaling on the Corvis Cannon to address.  45% Skill, 30% Res, 30% Cel.  The numbers being so split means you usually get rounded out of actually decent numbers, and having to level Resistance alongside Cel pigeonholes you into specific builds, making this a really...  Not versatile weapon.   It has decent power at 11, but still way below the Coyote's 15.  Its saving grace is a 15% extra crit chance, but that number doesn't synergize much with the weapon's passive.  It just feels weird.

I don't think the Corvis Cannon needs large buffs.  But I think it could use some *small* buffs to bring it into a more usable place.  I think merging either its Res or Cel scaling into Skill would be enough to at least make it much easier to approach.

So, that's all the shotguns in the game.  Crazy coyote outshines them all.  But I don't think that's a bad thing on Coyote's part, but instead more just that the other weapons struggle to find their place in the game.  Some looks to Corvis Cannon, at least, would be nice- so it can really feel impactful, as a boss ten star.

Thanks for reading.
(08-31-2020, 03:54 PM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: ...I rarely ever hear anything at all about other shotguns.  The basic shotgun, in comparison to coyote, has 10% more skill scaling, 10 more accuracy, 30% less guile scaling, and 5 less power.

So, in sheer damage, the coyote will always win out, pretty much- as long as you run any amount of guile over twenty or so, which is already a boon to guns.  And maybe that's reasonable, considering it's a base weapon, and not a nine star? 

Naturally. Don't forget about Farshot Penalty. Potentially enough of a reason to run GUI anyway if not being an in-fighter with big gun.

(08-31-2020, 03:54 PM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: But if we look at Magical Nova...

Magical Nova is a spelledge weapon with 50 will, 50 skill.  It's sort of a weird weapon, and I'd call it kinda useful and fun....  But a crippling flaw with it is the miniscule base power.  Eight base power, compared to ten from the base shotgun.  It does have arguably better scaling, but Will is a stat that's hard to pump for anyone wanting to basic attack with the weapon.  
It's not that hard to pump WIL if you wanna be a basic attacker. The issue lies more in getting the MOST out of that WIL since Gunners primarily focus on basics, so you won't have much use for FP in general beyond a tiny small pool. Near all of my Gunners can technically fit in WIL with no problem. I just don't since I rarely use the FP ever, nor do I use the Ele ATK often if I don't sub mage. So it's like. Even if Build WIL, if I get no use out of it, on a class primarily revolving around basics, why bother building it to begin with?

Nova is generally in a fine spot.

(08-31-2020, 03:54 PM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: Now, of course, it is spell edge.  And Will Scaling on Spell Edge tends to work out well enough since you want will anyway, right?  It *should*.  Take a Hexer/MG approach with the Magical Nova.  Arcane Gun increases that scaling to 50/75 skill/will, and you'll want to stack both of those stats for Hexer infliction anyway.  It sounds great and appealing, but-

But, still, the Magical Nova struggles to actually use that SWA for spells.  Remember that as a gun, the Magical Nova's power upgrades only apply to basic attacks.  So autohits, and by extension spells, are always going to be a step behind.  Combined with the poor customizability for power in guns(Short Barrel and Piercing Bullets being the only options), and the Magical Nova hardly catches up to similar weapons.  Nine times out of ten, it's better to just run a tome and a gun, like a Seed Sniper and a Custom Tome- so that's exactly what people do.

So, the Magical Nova almost manages to be good.  But I think it's arguable that most spelledge weapons hit that weird, almost bluebally point.  There's one more shotgun that should shine just as well as the Coyote, though.

It also has a (underwhelming) nuclear laser, Magic Gunner gives it 75% WIL Scaling and 50% SKI Scaling as you said which is pretty strong and overall makes it real tasty. More of a reason to validly build WIL overall. I'd say it's viable in general due to that alone. Let's not forget that it doesn't knock enemies back one tile on a basic. Making things like Critical KD > Wild Ride possible as well as sick Execute Combos or whatever you may need to use that requires the enemy knocked down.

Face Stomp, Execute, Deadclaw Effect, Wild Ride, whatever. Again, it's fine for what it is and what you can do with it. There's just better in terms of guns overall. Spelledge allows me to consider not having to use a tome anyway in my offhand slot. Although it's hard to pass up 5 Skill Slots for free with more damage. It's more a matter of it not being overly necessary while still being serviceable.

More on the tier of being inferior than necessarily bad or needing to be looked at. If I remove the Coyote from the equation, I can easily justify using it with a fair amount of builds. But when I add it in, strictly in line with Shotguns, I'd rather use a fucking Coyote and a Tome Offhand at that rate. Or Mainhand Coyote and Offhand Nova.

What i'm trying to say is that even if it's viable on its own, Coyote existing makes it very hard to pass up due to things like Bloody Palms not applying necessarily to Gun Shots, which makes it just an inferior Coyote even if you utilize Hunted. Spell damage can be good, or. Orrr. You can offhand a tome, get free five skill slots and on average more damage with your magic while having an epic custom spell to debuff as you want. Some of which synergize with MG Shells.

So really, it's just a solid weapon all-in-all shafted by the fact that the Coyote is just...better, easier to build around and offers more versatility.

(08-31-2020, 03:54 PM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: The Corvis Cannon.

This is honestly a hard weapon to address.  Once in a while, you honestly do get to see some cool stuff with it, but not really often enough, I feel.  The Corvis Cannon covers a struck opponent in black feathers, and when an opponent covered in feathers is struck by wind damage, they go airborne.  Finally, shooting an opponent that is airborne with a corvis cannon deals 49 unresistable wind damage, which is pretty hefty.

It's not exactly weak, with a cool effect like that- you can always do something like running Elemental Augment and proccing Wind damage after every shot to make opponents go airborne.  But at most- if your opponent has misplayed and you're in a punish state, you proc two instances of that, for a total of 98 damage.  Usually, you won't pull off even that much.

There's also the abysmal scaling on the Corvis Cannon to address.  45% Skill, 30% Res, 30% Cel.  The numbers being so split means you usually get rounded out of actually decent numbers, and having to level Resistance alongside Cel pigeonholes you into specific builds, making this a really...  Not versatile weapon.   It has decent power at 11, but still way below the Coyote's 15.  Its saving grace is a 15% extra crit chance, but that number doesn't synergize much with the weapon's passive.  It just feels weird.

I don't think the Corvis Cannon needs large buffs.  But I think it could use some *small* buffs to bring it into a more usable place.  I think merging either its Res or Cel scaling into Skill would be enough to at least make it much easier to approach.

Don't forget On-Hits are buffed by Holy so Corvis Cannon gets nuclear damage if that's applicable. That's the main time i've seen Corvis Cannon shine without spreading my entire stats apart. Otherwise, it's mostly teamplay synergy nowadays. Which i've also gotten good enough usage out of myself, but I wouldn't ever consider using it in PvE or in a One-on-One PvP fight in any regards due to its generally low scaling and lack of reliance on the enemy being holy weak.

So I can agree that it needs to be buffed to some regard. Solely because it's a ten star. Yet lacks the strength expected of a ten star. Coyote already got changed to not work when in your off-hand for its skills now. Just a bit weird that a nine star weapon would outshine even ten stars of the same subtype. The literal only time I have ever seen Coyote be beat by Corvis is with said Holy Damage. I can get obnoxious damage if we account for that and assume I crit. Yet. I have to go through more resistances (Wind Resist, Magic DR(?) and Magic Armor) and a Holy Check to surpass the superior damage offered by the Coyote.

Owie.
(08-31-2020, 03:54 PM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: So, that's all the shotguns in the game.  Crazy coyote outshines them all.  But I don't think that's a bad thing on Coyote's part, but instead more just that the other weapons struggle to find their place in the game.  Some looks to Corvis Cannon, at least, would be nice- so it can really feel impactful, as a boss ten star.

Thanks for reading.

You're not welcome.
(08-31-2020, 04:23 PM)HexGirlBestGirl Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 03:54 PM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: But if we look at Magical Nova...

It's not that hard to pump WIL if you wanna be a basic attacker. The issue lies more in getting the MOST out of that WIL since Gunners primarily focus on basics, so you won't have much use for FP in general beyond a tiny small pool. Near all of my Gunners can technically fit in WIL with no problem. I just don't since I rarely use the FP ever, nor do I use the Ele ATK often if I don't sub mage. So it's like. Even if Build WIL, if I get no use out of it, on a class primarily revolving around basics, why bother building it to begin with?

Nova is generally in a fine spot.

(08-31-2020, 03:54 PM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: Now, of course, it is spell edge.  And Will Scaling on Spell Edge tends to work out well enough since you want will anyway, right?  It *should*.  Take a Hexer/MG approach with the Magical Nova.  Arcane Gun increases that scaling to 50/75 skill/will, and you'll want to stack both of those stats for Hexer infliction anyway.  It sounds great and appealing, but-

It also has a (underwhelming) nuclear laser, Magic Gunner gives it 75% WIL Scaling and 50% SKI Scaling as you said which is pretty strong and overall makes it real tasty. More of a reason to validly build WIL overall. I'd say it's viable in general due to that alone. Let's not forget that it doesn't knock enemies back one tile on a basic. Making things like Critical KD > Wild Ride possible as well as sick Execute Combos or whatever you may need to use that requires the enemy knocked down.

Face Stomp, Execute, Deadclaw Effect, Wild Ride, whatever. Again, it's fine for what it is and what you can do with it. There's just better in terms of guns overall. Spelledge allows me to consider not having to use a tome anyway in my offhand slot. Although it's hard to pass up 5 Skill Slots for free with more damage. It's more a matter of it not being overly necessary while still being serviceable.

More on the tier of being inferior than necessarily bad or needing to be looked at. If I remove the Coyote from the equation, I can easily justify using it with a fair amount of builds. But when I add it in, strictly in line with Shotguns, I'd rather use a fucking Coyote and a Tome Offhand at that rate. Or Mainhand Coyote and Offhand Nova.

What i'm trying to say is that even if it's viable on its own, Coyote existing makes it very hard to pass up due to things like Bloody Palms not applying necessarily to Gun Shots, which makes it just an inferior Coyote even if you utilize Hunted. Spell damage can be good, or. Orrr. You can offhand a tome, get free five skill slots and on average more damage with your magic while having an epic custom spell to debuff as you want. Some of which synergize with MG Shells.

So really, it's just a solid weapon all-in-all shafted by the fact that the Coyote is just...better, easier to build around and offers more versatility.
Yeah, I pretty much agree with this- it's a weapon that I want to use and it's definitely got some cool combos, and a big useless laser that doesn't even benefit from greaper, but it just totally lacks usability in comparison to options around it.  It's not unreasonably bad by any means, and I was happy to move on from it since at the end of the day, coyote's a nine star and magical nova is a spelledge weapon, which all have a tendency to be somewhat bad.  I'd like to see minor buffs one day to it, but it's definitely not the focus here.

(08-31-2020, 03:54 PM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: The Corvis Cannon.

(08-31-2020, 04:23 PM)HexGirlBestGirl Wrote: Don't forget On-Hits are buffed by Holy so Corvis Cannon gets nuclear damage if that's applicable. That's the main time i've seen Corvis Cannon shine without spreading my entire stats apart. Otherwise, it's mostly teamplay synergy nowadays. Which i've also gotten good enough usage out of myself, but I wouldn't ever consider using it in PvE or in a One-on-One PvP fight in any regards due to its generally low scaling and lack of reliance on the enemy being holy weak.

So I can agree that it needs to be buffed to some regard. Solely because it's a ten star. Yet lacks the strength expected of a ten star. Coyote already got changed to not work when in your off-hand for its skills now. Just a bit weird that a nine star weapon would outshine even ten stars of the same subtype. The literal only time I have ever seen Coyote be beat by Corvis is with said Holy Damage. I can get obnoxious damage if we account for that and assume I crit. Yet. I have to go through more resistances (Wind Resist, Magic DR(?) and Magic Armor) and a Holy Check to surpass the superior damage offered by the Coyote.

Owie.

You definitely hit the nail on the head.  Like I said before, cool things occasionally, it can get some sick ass damage against the right targets in the right circumstances if the stars align, but it just winds up mediocre outside those circumstances.

Do you have any specific comments on what could be buffed about the Corvis Cannon?  I left it for last because I feel like it's the only shotgun that really *needed* a look so it can be up par as a ten star shotgun, rather than....  Being what it is right now.  I feel like merging some of the scaling into Skill, at least, would ameliorate some of the issues with it, but potentially not all.

Maybe a nice plan would be for the Corvis Cannon to do wind damage innately?  That'd come with its own weaknesses, though, since it's fairly easy to resist wind.

I think its passive should in general be easier to access.  That would be enough, to me, to make this weapon shine.

(08-31-2020, 04:23 PM)HexGirlBestGirl Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 03:54 PM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: So, that's all the shotguns in the game.  Crazy coyote outshines them all.  But I don't think that's a bad thing on Coyote's part, but instead more just that the other weapons struggle to find their place in the game.  Some looks to Corvis Cannon, at least, would be nice- so it can really feel impactful, as a boss ten star.

Thanks for reading.

You're not welcome.
Appreciate it!