Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amber Maria - Creation of a specific casting tool
Applicable BYOND Key - SoulOfLuna
Character Name - Amber Maria
Request Type - Character Ability (Creation of a specific kind of casting tool)

Request Details - This request is for my character, Amber Maria, whether by herself or with the aid of other individuals (whether NPCs or other players), to be capable of making a casting tool, from here on titled "rune bracelets". (In this case, "rune" is effectively just used to describe that it's a bracelet with symbols, generally pertaining to whatever needs to be used for spellcasting, but not necessarily actual runes). Under normal circumstances, they are about as capable as a tome, aside from requiring to get used to the casting tool being on your wrists and them being fairly easy to break. Amber herself also regularly has a second bracelet on, that she makes use of to keep a small collection of spells as well as to make the stealing of spells and the like easier, seeing as she's a Spellthief, though she refrains from handing those out to anyone she doesn't know extremely well.

Reason why you are making this request (if applicable) - Using the rune bracelets has already been part of what I'd been doing with my character before for the past couple of years, and while I can't be 100% certain, I believe at least one GM was aware of the bracelets being used, at the very least. I've also had my character make a couple of these bracelets in more recent times, for a couple of characters. I hadn't asked in the past if having those sorts of things made, whether personally or with assistance from NPCs or maybe even other players, is acceptable. Admittedly, I assumed that it would be fine as long as being able to use those kinds of bracelets is okay, and I'm really sorry for not checking beforehand. Essentially, I'm asking about this now to both confirm that the previous cases of this are okay and that any future cases of attempting this is allowed.

Roleplay & Lore supporting your request -

Lore: Based on the equipment in the game already, casting tools aren't limited to tomes. There have been fans, staves, and even actual weapons like swords or axes, that people could make use of to also cast any type of spell, a number of which are craftable in the game. In addition, based on the page regarding Spellthieves in the wiki, spells can be saved in many different fashions, with some of the examples given being cards, paper tags and tattoos. So, the possibility of such an item existing is there, as far as I can tell.

Roleplay: Amber had the bracelets for close to 15 years now ICly, if not longer. As a result of using many different types of magic, albeit though questionable means, she's become quite familiar with magic as a whole, as well as having the time to figure out exactly how the bracelets work, along with keeping a copy of the symbols her own bracelet has at home. Enchanting isn't her strong suit, but she does have a little bit more knowledge of it compared to the average adventurer, and with the amount of time she's spent in various places, she's bound to have at least a few connections to help her if it's too challenging to do by herself regardless.

(No RP logs, apologies. Worst case scenario, I could try to ask people that met the character to help with filling in some of the gaps.)

Note: Should any of this be an issue, I'm more than willing to talk and/or adjust details regarding this request.
I don't think there's any problem with this idea. Given the wide variety of casting tools already available, a magical bracelet doesn't seem like a stretch at all. Having a second bracelet for the purpose of storing spells is also fine.

I imagine something like this could be reasonably made as either a talented one person job or an adequate two person job. Just really need someone like a metalworker to forge the bracelets and an enchanter or whatnot to give it the ability to function as a casting tool.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]