Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope - Spirit Evoker (Youkai)
Applicable BYOND Key: Outer Science

Character Name: Hope

Request Type: Character Item Concept

Request Details: The Spirit Evoker would be (conceptually) a magical gun capable of 'storing' Youkai inside it. When the trigger is pulled, it would never fire an actual bullet, instead summoning a Youkai of the Summoner's choice towards that particular direction. The firearm would have a special property to it that makes Evoke Abilities (the Youkai attacks performed by the Summoner) be less taxing on the user's focus. On paper, this property is given to it by a Mana Crystal that helps supplement the focus needed to perform the skill.

The (summoning fluff) visual animation for summoning Youkai would be glass shards scattering upon pulling the trigger, accompanied by the noise of a mirror breaking before the Youkai manifests in the direction the Spirit Evoker had been aimed at. If it were necessary to summon Youkai in quick succession, the gun would be repeatedly "fired" accordingly.

Its name is inspired by two terms associated with the Grand Summoner promotion class (the Spirit Well and Evoke Master abilities, in particular.)

The gun would not be impossible to replicate, on paper. Anyone with the right understanding of magic and Youkai should be able to make something similar.

I'll be upfront and say this has inspiration from the Persona summoning method in Persona 3. Although, it's obviously not triggered by pointing the gun to your head and making the creature appear by giving yourself a near-death feeling. (See: https://youtu.be/eb6fW0Gx5WU)

Reason why you are making this request (if applicable): It's a cool idea (to me) that I feel I'd have fun roleplaying. About 3 OOC years ago, this character roleplayed summoning by firing blanks before the Youkai would come out, mostly for showing off rather than them actually coming out of a gun made for it. I feel that it would be more smooth if it wasn't all that fake, which is why I'm making this request/application.

Roleplay & Lore supporting your request: Hope is a Summoner who, as of this moment, has 24 Youkai contracts. She is adept when it comes to the Youkai arts and would eventually look into the idea of spicing up her evoking skills. I have been previously informed by two different GMs that it should be fine to store Youkai within magic cards and a golden box, the latter of which was approved with the context that it was an illusionist summoner, but the idea of a gun having them is relatively different compared to these which is a huge part of why I have written this. I can provide screenshots of my conversations with the aforementioned GMs if requested. Here are screenshots of Hope's companion menu in-game:

[Image: DgwSFF2.png]
[Image: ZHYPU8p.png]
[Image: k0TUl1A.png]

I'm willing to make changes to the concept if requested!
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Hm... okay, I feel like this still may be leaning a bit too heavy on the Persona 3 influence, sure, you aren't "shooting" yourself but it's still called an Evoker and has a glass shattering effect and noise when used?

I think you should probably consider an alternative name and effect to that, just so the inspiration isn't too obvious.

Also I don't suppose you have more context about what was said regarding:
Quote:I have been previously informed by two different GMs that it should be fine to store Youkai within magic cards and a golden box, the latter of which was approved with the context that it was an illusionist summoner

In particular about how those work? Just wanna make sure the overlap with these ideas lines up.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
Haha, yeah that's fair! I wondered that myself. How about these alternatives then:

-It's renamed to Spirit Gun
-The effect, when utilized, is a short burst of focus instead. Think like a blue energy aura shooting out from the gun.

As for the context on the card/box, I'll DM you the logs.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Alright, with those changes and checking what was said by the other GMs about your idea, I'm fine approving this.

I'll add what the other GMs said to Fern regarding the prior approvals for it for clarity sake.

First Approvals (dated 08/18/2017)
Quote:Fern: I was asking if something akin to Persona styled summoning would be possible in SL2, since the summoners are heavily based off SMT. Is there any way it could work? If no gun self-shooting, then what if the Youkai comes out of the gun? Would card crushing be too much?

Quote:Chaos: Evokers will not work in SL2, period

Quote:Fern: What about the youkai coming out of the gun? Like the person shoots at nothing, and it manifests.

Quote:Chaos: They can fire a blank while summoning to make it look like they're firing a youkai out.

Quote:Chaos: A card can be thrown down to form a small gate
As far as cards go

Quote:Fern: do you think shooting the card to activate it would work too

Quote:Chaos: Crushing one seems like an overly show-off method
Kinda like a power that has to crush a camera to take a photo of something distant
Shooting blanks at a card will give that impression

Quote:Fern: Do you have any ideas for a summon storm action btw? Or just the casual "chant then they appear" would work?

Quote:Chaos: the area is surrounded with doors when they chant
Or curtains
If the spell goes off
They suddenly bust open as youkai charge through
If fail, doors/curtains shatter

Second Approvals (dated 12/10/2019)
Quote:Fern: For the villain character I'm using for that ritual event thingy I brought up a while ago
Since according to Chaos, Youkai can come out of curtains / cards for fluff, I was wondering if I could say that:
1. All his youkai are golden colored (they don't shine, they just have golden color patterns, probably due to magic or something)
2. They come out of a small golden box he has with him when needed
or out of gold portals that pop up briefly
WOULD THIS BE FINE?

Quote:Dystopia: which ritual event thingy, again? remind mee

Quote:Fern: THE ONE with the blood color gem and the ritual summoning for a strong yokai
that is wind-themed and an extremely powerful illusionist

Quote:Dystopia: oh!
ye idk why it couldn't be that way, ye
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Slydria's post:
  • FatherCrixius, Fern