Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonder and recent changes.
Recently the change to the turn order for youkai has really fucked with Bonder. After extensive thought over this, I see now that Bonder is harder than ever to reliably trigger one very crucial skill for a basic attacker summoner... Fight as One. Fight as one is a five point skill that grants up to +15 in hit, crit, evade and crit evade if ALL of your bonded youkai are within two range.... TWO... range.... and that's ALL youkai... If you use three bonded when are you ever going to surround your enemy on all cardinal directions? The single bonded bonus is that the stats are doubled to 30... Which is great but this is fundamentally flawed in this sort of game, in SL2 melee characters -need- to stay mobile, they don't have ways outside of the vortex pull from Black Knight and the Blood Twister from Ghost to actually draw enemies in towards them so they stay and fight, or immobilize them either. So the odds of you having your full turn while having this +30 to all is slim to none when summoning, this makes Bonder legitimately only good to use for Installing with Two Souls Beyond to gain the full fight as one bonus that way, without even getting the Synchro summon benefit.

Understandably this combination could break things if allowed to have full range so, my suggestion is that Synchro summon loses its benefit of applying to the summoner if using only one bonded all together in favor of Fight as One having its range limit increased to 6 or 7. Due to how youkai always move at the very LAST in a turn and how chaotic this game is with forced movement skills, a regular scenario I can see is the bonder uses 3 momentum to approach, use ritual sword to summon their singular bonded and gets +6 to all on both of them with the fight as one bonus ready as well, someone ELSE may, after all is applied have say a 50% chance to hit now, they do so while using 'repel' from Duelist, they crit, land a 3 tile push, suddenly the Bonder no longer has fight as one, and then the duelist is in range to make use of their fleur to follow up with the bonder having a much less potent defense. Or to strike the youkai easily now that it's left defenseless until its turn at the end of the round. There will almost never be a situation where you can fully use Fight as one in its current state.

As I stated above, I suggest one of the following:
1: Allow Fight as one to apply at six or 7 range while removing Synchro summon's bonus for singular bonded youkai to the summoner.
2: Add a skill which allows the youkai to follow the summoner whenever they move or teleport.

The only two ideas I had on this. I'm more in agreement with the first option. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
Using 3 bonded youkai has always been problematic as far as keeping fight as one active. It's why many bonders just use 1 bonded youkai. The advantage of having multiple bonded youkai is that they're all compatible with shared pain mostly, along with interacting with things that require a bonded youkai. That's the tradeoff for losing the convenience of effects from single bonding.

If the range increases for fight as one in this way it makes bonder much stronger because instead of the best strategy being to bond just one youkai to get FAO online faster, you can easily spam out all your youkai which will have lower FP costs from parted pain and not only have a bunch of goons but also increased hit, crit, crit evade, and evade.
Fight As One's range can easily be upped a little bit I would have to say, but the problem with multiple bonded youkai is there's little reason to summon multiple bonded youkai, because of how Shared Pain works if you and all 3 of your youkai get caught by a single AoE, you share 50% of the damage 4 times, leading it to be 200% of the original value.

Fight As One's effectiveness is more useful to the summoner than it is the youkai themselves, so another reason people go 1 bonded youkai is because +30 to hit/crit/evade/crit evade is objectively better than 15/15/15/15

You would improve Fight As One's effectiveness with multiple bonded youkai by increasing the range minorly (like 5 range) and then making the effect stack per bonded youkai in range, causing it to be better if not way more risky/resource consuming that a single bonded youkai.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • Snake