Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP Traits.
These should be 'only negative' to prevent there being an epidemic of certain traits, or mechanical favourability of others. I would also like to see traits that are expressly negative, be always available and never take an unlock point to aquire- Allowing for players who utilised all their trait points to still buy into the feature.

-Diseases, these would help add to world building if done right, and could sell the Mercalan is not a catch all treatment that it is described as in lore. These could, for instance, increase poison damage or reduce specific stats; though the more original / less mechanical the effects the better.

-Physical disabilities / Limb loss. These could offer narrative permanence and could assist players in selling their characters better. Little things like missing fingers adding a small but direct loss to skill and strength, to missing an arm - Permanently removing two-handers / steady's effects until a followup trait is taken (Such as a prosthetic arm). The more indepth a feature like this, the more I feel players would be able to derive. The currently existing injury system is far too shallow, and even more temporary, often serving more as a grinding inconvenience than an actual mechanic imo.

-Curses. Cursed blood was an interesting addition, and it's interactions with ghost especially was an honestly nice tie in to the thematics of the class. I would like to see this expanded on, with more permanent cursed and hexed traits that could offer Hexer some fluff / fantasy power, and contribute to overall worldbuilding.

-Divine punishment. God specific traits that relate to the god offended, say an adventurer desecrated a shrine or did not follow Kaelenesian customs. It would help to bring relevance back to most gods, rather than them being a purely mechanical entity as they are now. Offending Glycon could result in HP regen being negated and being prone to disease, whereas Zera could make a person anxious, and being more prone to being critically hit, for rough examples.

-Age as a trait, allowing players to decide when their characters 'Peak' and when they start to decline.

These are just some spitball ideas, and I'd love to hear more. 
[Video: https://youtu.be/dUTH39_YaFk]
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/4.../Goose.png

[Image: unknown.png]

DEV: Don't use such large images in your signature.

[Image: ff1cbab38842243c0634bf0ebaf4264f.jpg]
[-] The following 8 users Like FatherCrixius's post:
  • Akame, Blissey, Lonestar, Miller, Snake, Tamaki-Kun, The Alpha Bat, WaifuApple
While sounding nice on paper this would largely change nothing. Some small number of people might grab these, but the large majority of people would not, even if they were free.
That's why they're named 'Traits'. If you wanna be some special snowflake who's perfect in every single way, go wild and save points.

I'd love to see more traits that have major and notable drawbacks but small benefits in their own ways. It helps to make difference between one char from another.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like Snake's post:
  • Ace, Akame, FatherCrixius, Shujin
And as nice as that would be it'd be a waste of a patch since it would be extremely under utilized. Better off spending time on content that'll be more widely used.
I for one like the idea of mainly negative traits, because when you add in mainly good traits with small draw backs you get multiple people using it like cursed blood for example [No shade cursed blood is v cool imo]. All I’m saying is it’d be cool to see a person to a one armed swordsmen with a literal one arm debuff not allowing them to equip a hands slot or something like that. 

Also on the injury side of things I could see there being a menu similar to one you request and accept similar to the request trade menu that would allow players to apply injuries to one another.  Which then appeared on the health panel (and in-battle as a status effect) and would allow people with certain requirements to heal them both (inflicting and healing having an message broadcast similar to eating a fruit of fluidity).  I think this would make injuries more common and cooler as well.
If need be, do what another game I remember did. Negative traits give you an extra trait point for taking them rather than taking them away. So you get at least some incentive to handicap yourself. Of course, that hinges on an environment where there are enough traits to want to take these risks for more, but if you want it to see use, just do that.

I want this regardless, in whatever form it comes. But might as well air out a suggestion for those who think there's no point.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
[-] The following 3 users Like WaifuApple's post:
  • Akame, Shujin, Snake
Independant of if some people plan on using this or not, be it because they have the priority of mechanics and winning first, RP second (in a RP-mandatory game, go figure.), more RP traits, be them to benefit you in a way that your character is or because you have a certain physical/mental disability is always welcomed in my book.

Voices of the Past from Oracle is easily one of my favorite RP traits in this game and I hope more come around that for other races, as well as a way to show that you indeed have the trait that gives you a drawback, be it on profile or another place. Like, showing the icon just south of the character's alias/name in the profile, maybe?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lonestar's post:
  • FatherCrixius
I'm down for negative and positive RP traits. Though I don't think RP traits should undermine lore (and I'm not saying this just because I play a Mercalan). But if that's where the pendulum swings towards, then I won't exactly raise arms about it. (I'm tired.)
[Image: Y8FFQj7.jpg]
^Mercala's Favorite Apparently
[Image: To2mAPS.png](heh)
Also in regards to Apple, SL2 has too many trait points in comparisson to available traits to warrant that. Not a bad idea but we'd need positive traits that may cost more than one trait point, or 'a lot of meta traits' back, such as things that granted bonus stats. So people will limit themselves and go to the point of crippling their char for benefits they need.

Like for example, a mage who sacrifices durability and maybe maximum HP for more damage, or a tank who sacrifices their damage for more beefyness to be a stone wall, a cursed character who automatically generates deadly curses on themselves and transfers them through sneezing, etc etc.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • Perdition
Basically everything above fixes the issues with this idea as suggested in the OP.