Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mechanical Leporidae Hearing
I've been playing a Leporidae character for a good long while at this point, and if there's anything that irks me about them, it's that they have the same hearing capability as every other person. Yes, while these sensitive ears are represented in battle via a 15% sound weakness, this attribute seems to disappear outside of battle. That quiet person one tile outside of say range? Nope, can't hear them any better than the non-rabbit people beside me. This is clearly a war crime against rabbit-people.

I have two different ideas of how this improved hearing could be better represented:

1. Negate the effects of quiet person. 
- If a Leporidae were to be in range to get a "too quiet to hear" message, instead displays the message proper.
- If such a case happens, it may be a good idea to differentiate the heard post with something like (Quiet) appended to the end to ensure the Leporidae knows that they were only ones to hear it from that distance.

2. Increasing the base hear range.
- Posts made in say can be heard from shout range, and shouts are heard even further than they normally are.
- Possibly increasing the range whispers can be heard.

If either or both of these ideas ever get implemented, it might be a good idea to add a verb or a settings option to enable/disable this feature to accommodate character conditions or personal preferences.
[Image: Rabbit.PNG]
[-] The following 11 users Like InsainArcaneBirdbrain's post:
  • Autumn, Blissey, Dystopia, Fern, Ham, ItsWanderlust, Poruku, Shujin, Snake, The Alpha Bat, TorientalVortX
*sagenod*

Although towards Quiet Person I'd like for all Kaelensian (except Phenex and Corbie), Omina and Redtail to share this potential (maybe Vampires too?).

It could nicely become a Trait too, imo. Maybe with a minor drawback like -5% sound resistance for non-Leporidae.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 6 users Like Snake's post:
  • Autumn, Dystopia, Ham, InsainArcaneBirdbrain, Miller, TorientalVortX
Make it so when I shout the bunny people’s screens freak out so when they complain my shouting gives them a headache it actually gives them a headache.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like Sawrock's post:
  • Autumn, Fern, Ham, Poruku, TorientalVortX
I think sensitive hearing could definitely be a trait as Kunai mentioned, you can expand it to any odd-eared race such as Leporidae/Lupine/Felidae/Redtail/Omina and Elf.
[-] The following 5 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Blissey, Ham, Sawrock, Snake, TorientalVortX
As much as I like these ideas being thrown around, this thread feels less like "my race has special ears" and more "remove Quiet Person".

I'm all for both.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Alpha Bat's post:
  • Ham, InsainArcaneBirdbrain
(03-24-2021, 06:01 AM)The Alpha Bat Wrote: As much as I like these ideas being thrown around, this thread feels less like "my race has special ears" and more "remove Quiet Person".

I'm all for both.
Shhhh

The fact that this idea could be implemented as a trait slipped my mind actually, but might actually be the best way to go about it. That way people who want it can grab it, and vice versa without a setting/verb as I was suggesting. Sensitive hearing could make close-range shouts do something interesting as Sawrock pointed out as well, which I would be all for.

I'm not against the idea for the trait to be expanded out to other races either to help give a bit of variety, though I would say that Leporidae should stand out in some way to other races in terms of hearing considering that it is one of their main defining traits as a race.
[Image: Rabbit.PNG]
(03-24-2021, 04:47 AM)Autumn Wrote: I think sensitive hearing could definitely be a trait as Kunai mentioned, you can expand it to any odd-eared race such as Leporidae/Lupine/Felidae/Redtail/Omina and Elf.
This. I like this.
[Image: Y8FFQj7.jpg]
^Mercala's Favorite Apparently
[Image: To2mAPS.png](heh)
I'd certainly be up for seeing this a thing for our odd eared races, give a little bit of a extra perk and give more reason to RP hating someone when they come walking in shouting at the top of their lungs just because they know a leporidae around.
(03-24-2021, 04:17 AM)Sawrock Wrote: Make it so when I shout the bunny people’s screens freak out so when they complain my shouting gives them a headache it actually gives them a headache.

It's been a very, very long time since I've seen a screen shake effect in BYOND. This sounds hilarious and I want it.

Put it all into a trait, I agree. This sounds cool and it's totally going to be even cooler if there's actual fluff to people shouting right next to your sensitive ears.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Fern's post:
  • Ham, Sawrock
As a Bunny boy player since 1706, let my ears be epic please. Ty

(Also Droopy Ears sprite when :pensive: )
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=18750966]