Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guile change 5000, now with new words.
Guile being tied to crit damage is a mistake, a balancing nightmare, and a cancer to strength builds while simultaneously a boon to guile builds where they get both higher damage and  a roughly 40-60 stat point differential to invest in "survivability" stats.

Return Crit damage to a base % increase, only affected by non stat modifiers.

a safe choice would be 150% or 175%. (people seem to think 200% is too high, yet that's what it was pre gr)

In the vacancy of crit damage I suggest a new mechanic "lethality"

Lethality would give guile its niche as  a "weapon scaling stat" and differentiate itself from Willpower and Strength the other two weapon scaling stats.

Lethality is simple, it reduces the effectiveness of the defenses of the enemy you just hit by 0.5 per 1 lethality. Specifically this would apply to both phys and magic defense, giving mages a reason to consider guile and increase the viability of a future acid mage.

New gear could have lethality, there could be traits to get more lethality, class buffs with lethality!
I know why you are saying this, but mathematically speaking? This is actually just a buff to Guile, and makes guile weapons even better, does it not?

you'd still run aloooot better, I dare say even better than now, with guile weapons in this way. Your damage output is higher, you are just trading one damage source for another.
If you standarize Crit damage(which I do not mind personally), but you also ignore 30% DR from the target with a guile scaling weapon, the strength weapon is still sitting behind in serval areas (hit, damage cause strength needs to face full DR, skillslots). If a change to guile would happen then it can't just be damage in another flavour without conditions. Right now it atleast NEEDS to crit to even get that benefit, with your change, if I understood it correctly. It would just always be Guile/2 reduction of DR.

At that point being a tank will also be a nightmare.
I think thats against the spirit of your idea actually, since you try to even the playing field between strength weapons and guile weapons, right?
(08-26-2021, 05:52 PM)Shujin Wrote: I know why you are saying this, but mathematically speaking? This is actually just a buff to Guile, and makes guile weapons even better, does it not?

you'd still run aloooot better, I dare say even better than now, with guile weapons in this way. Your damage output is higher, you are just trading one damage source for another.
If you standarize Crit damage(which I do not mind personally), but you also ignore 30% DR from the target with a guile scaling weapon, the strength weapon is still sitting behind in serval areas (hit, damage cause strength needs to face full DR, skillslots). If a change to guile would happen then it can't just be damage in another flavour without conditions. Right now it atleast NEEDS to crit to even get that benefit, with your change, if I understood it correctly. It would just always be Guile/2 reduction of DR.

At that point being a tank will also be a nightmare.
I think thats against the spirit of your idea actually, since you try to even the playing field between strength weapons and guile weapons, right?
I only suggest a mechanic like this because it seems to be the only way to get people on board with changing guile, because for some reason people would rather it be twice as good as strength.

I would be perfectly happy with giving guile this only while flanking or having only the flanking bonus. The main goal of the post is to remove Crit damage from guile because its unhealthy gameplay design.

If anything Guile should lose crit damage and get nothing.