Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual-Damage type weapons
Hello, cool guy here.

I thought of an idea and made it in the discord, and got told to share it here, so.

I've been thinking of weapons that do two types of damage instead of one, and i've thought of some at the top of my head

Spiked Mace - Blunt+Pierce
Gunsword - Slash+Pierce
Halberd - Slash+Pierce

How these would probably work is by two switchable modes. Single Mode which does only one type of damage from the two, for maximum damage. And Double Mode, for both types of damage, but less damage dealt overall

Single would be beneficial since you'd have two preferable damage types at your disposal. Gunsword would probably be the most beneficial on this regard due to both short range and long range. And ultimately no damage reduction(?)

Double would be beneficial in terms of injuries, due to the fact that both damage types are dealt at the same time, albeit with the downside of having damage reduced. You half-slash with the halberd to then pierce with the spear-like part, not putting much needed momentum in either attack. Same with gunsword, except it just decreases hit chance due to the fact that you don't really need to put momentum behind shooting a bullet. Spiked Mace might be the best in this regard, since both types can be dealt on the same hit (probably exempting it from Single Mode), although i'd guess the pierce damage would be much weaker due to the possible length of the spikes.

This is still a baby idea that i thought of minutes ago, so feedback and criticism is obviously quite rad.
I just don't see this being worth adding

First of all injuries are an extremely minor thing, so you would never want to go double-types at the cost of damage.

Secondly this would probably require some dev time to make double damage types work, and I just don't see the benefit.

Also thirdly split damage has funky implications, like absorb and immunities.

We already have split damage in the form of hexer and ghost spells, where it's two damage instances. I think that just makes a lot more sense to use as a system because then each of them can interact independently. The issue of course is that two damage instances means better odds to crit and trigger momentum bonus and also claret call application, so it's a straight advantage for certain things. So it wouldn't be as simple as just using that system. It would need to be a new system where a single instance has two types, and you haven't elaborated on what this would mean with resistances, reflection, immunities, and absorption.

For resistances it's simple: take the average of both. However, there's nothing in the game that makes you immune or absorb physical types, but that question is still important. I think that's why the hexer and ghost system just makes more sense for that.

To me, this feels just unimportant. In a game like dnd, split damage is essential because it interacts with DR. In this game though, it would have no significance besides IC. But even then, I think what would make more sense is the option to switch between pierce and slash. After all, with a gunsword, the shot and the slash are two different things. A halberd, you either lunge or slice. A spiked mace?... That's where it gets trickier because it's actually split damage. All in all, I just think it's not worth the headache.
I see no reason not to consider it honestly. Split damage interacts with elemental resistances.
(09-08-2021, 07:53 PM)Autumn Wrote: I see no reason not to consider it honestly. Split damage interacts with elemental resistances.
WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT
Explosions could also receive a similar treatment. You tend to be damaged by more than shrapnel whenever something goes off. It'd be cool if other explosion techniques performed similar, it'd increase the diversity for sure, and maybe sound good.

Assuming damage now can be divided in three different instances that total the maximum power:

Jackhammer
>> Pierce + Fire + Blunt

Explosion (Mage)
>> Fire + Wind + Blunt

Nitrogen Drop (DH)
>> Fire + Blunt
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I really do not think we need to change explosions like the mage one, that's more artificial and can just be localized, so RPing it as if it's actually picking up things to hit should be that, just RP.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity