Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weapon Part Event Rewards
I can already see the controversy surrounding this idea, and I haven't even posted it yet. But here I go anyway.

I don't know what has and has not been tried in regards to rewarding players for RP and whatnot. I've heard that certain things have been tried and were met with a lot of envy, but I'm not sure how true that is-- I wasn't there. That being said, I had an idea that might be a worthwhile reward without being something just anyone could grind for anyway.

Weapon parts. Ones that have no slot specified, so they can be slotted into any slot on a weapon. They'd be created by an admin (not an eventmin, to keep things from getting out of hand), and untradable. Instead of having stats associated with them, they'd instead have a skill or spell associated with them. When slotted into a weapon you have equipped, you have access to that skill.

Of course, admins could choose to only give specific skills, like kid gloves or tekagen, or could give slightly more useful things. It'd be entirely up to them. Could even be unique things made specifically for the purpose, or skills belonging to monsters / bosses. Things like ravaging spin come to mind, from the spatial boss.

Two problems I can see myself with this are:
  • Certain weapons (tomes in particular) don't have slots to fit these into. Maybe could be like a weapon quality item instead?
  • I'm sure certain people would try to hoard as many of these as they can. Admins might want to keep a list of who has received one already. Might not be needed if it was a quality item instead of a weapon part, given you'd then only be able to use one per weapon.
I'd really like to see some sort of 'unique' reward for events to make characters stand out from one another more. I'd love to hear thoughts and suggestions as to how to improve the idea, if you have any.
[Image: unknown.png]
As cool as an idea this is, I'd have to say that it's probably better that such a thing is not added. 

My first reason is that as you pointed out, this system is prone to abuse. There are always people who will take every mechanical advantage they can get, and having exclusive item effects such as these would only skew things against those who can't make it to events due to timezones or life. It's not hard for a character to stand out if you put in the effort, exclusive mechanical benefits aren't necessary. Unique character traits are easily app'ed for, and everyone has access to this which makes it more fair.

The second reason is that if such items should come into existence, they should be available to everyone (looking at you tekagen ring). People have been wanting these for rp purposes for a while now, and making them exclusively GM rewards would kinda not sit well for a lot of folk I feel.
[Image: Rabbit.PNG]
I get the concern, but I have to whole-heartedly disagree. First off, 'RP traits' that are apped for are cool and all (I've apped and been accepted for one, myself) but they simply do not mesh well with the system of combat, given it's purely mechanical. There's no easy way around that. I'm not saying you should be able to app for power or anything, but having systems in place for rewards would be a benefit, so long as they're not overbearing.

Sure a tekagen ring should be available to all, w/e. It was an example-- point is, if you miss an event, it's not the end of the world. There will be future events. It's not like missing one event means you'll never get a cool reward for yourself. After all, it's not much of a reward if everyone on the server gets one, anyway. If people are upset that someone else has something cool that they do not, then I'm sorry, but they're the reason we can't have nice things.
I've always wanted the ability to give "Event Medals" to participants. In my mind they're not parts so much as items we fabricate, change the icon and description of then hand over to a character. They would be destructible, not take inventory space and have no mechanical advantage, functioning more as an IC thing. So it could be something like giving an actual medal that says "Defeated Jammer Queen in the Godly Stage" or an IC Quest Item that's like "This amulet was given to you after you saved Brownsville." Just examples.

So far that's about the only thing I have thought about that wouldn't end up in big problems myself. I do wish I had more meaningful ways of rewarding people in events, though.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
It really isn't just about getting something cool that someone else doesn't, the issue with this suggestion is more a case of giving unachievable mechanical advantages to one or a small group of people for attending a specific event.

It would just end up leading to situations where someone gets X skill that really gives them an advantage for just attending an event, while someone in another timezone attending another event might just get something more useless instead.

The only way I'd really see this going down well as anything other than an IC benefit over, with no mechanical ties, is if it were a benefit in PvE only. If Eventmin bosses could be included in that too somehow, great (or just keep them to the serious tag) - but it would stop it becoming a case of people just flexing these things in meaningless spar PvP.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
event exclusive items with mechanical benefits that cannot be replicated by other items should never be added.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lolzytripd's post:
  • Shadbase
The charm of SL2 is how everyone is around the same power level, so... having extra petticots would ruin this balance.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]