Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Monk-fu
To me right now, Monk doesn't feel like a very great class to play, that isn't to say its a terrible class by any means but it mostly delegates down to being a stat wall or a funny basic attacker cheese build, the rest of Monk doesn't feel great outside of Kadouha really. Its supposed to be an all rounder class, and this plays against it sometimes given limited stat points.

Thats largely in part of the nerfs it faced a while ago, it got most of its good moves gutted and now it doesn't really have all too much that is useful to spend its Ki on anymore. Its pure SWA scaling moves don't really hit too hard anymore, in thanks to fist scalings not exactly competing for anything special like with a 2handed sword or spear.  That said it doesn't actually generate Ki too much too often anymore either, and it should be able to when main classed, let's start with Ki Generation mostly and see where that goes:

All Fight: Given that this is a main class only skill, I don't see why this should only activate once a round, being a constant 5% Damage increase while generating a meager 2 ki per hit is pretty meh in most regards.

Spirituality: This used to be a great passive when it was 6 passive Ki Generation per round, but that was changed to being a mono class only effect for some reason, I think that it should return to being a main class effect maybe.

Monk also lost some scaling in GR2, they arrive on about 10-15 less SWA than before due to not being able to gouge their SWA on weapon parts or enchantments anymore, as well as the decreased scaling overall (Fists were always 5% higher than other weapons before)

Introducing some sort of passive that gives additional SWA scaling (Like 30%) to pure SWA scaling attacks in MA and in Monk would be fun so that its not solely limited to elemental scaling as its damage, these would apply to the following in such a case:

-Peddling Wheel
-Heaven Kick
-Light Tomahawk
-Dense Thunder
-Sky Chariot
[-] The following 6 users Like Autumn's post:
  • HaTeD, JamOfBoy, K Peculier, Lewdcifer, Shujin, Slydria
I don't disagree with the whole schmuck of Main Class Monk being pretty underwhelming.

I think if we're going for newer things, it needs more punching techniques that use Ki to enhance their own form and not lob dragons or beams of light at people. I think the fantasy of a magic-flinging dastard's being overdone with little room for more physical approaches to dealing damage in most classes, so with that in mind...

If we're requesting Monk to be updated, I'd ask for 'Tiger's Fury' to be a skill that attacks the enemy multiple times with a basic hit while teleporting them around the enemy's cardinals.

If not, get All Fight's damage increase to 15% so it matches Boxer's own. (Not positional, but it only happens once per attack so it's fine anyway)

And Spirituality should go back to 6 at max rank.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
There's not a lot of punching skills yeah, and the current ones are vaguely underwhelming, Monk also lacks any skills pertaining to Water or Lightning, so having those would be pretty cool imo. Monk also currently lacks any basic attacking skills other than Geldoren, and I think it could use a hanging-esque gap closing attack that is also a basic attack to help it out somehow, given that Shukuchi Geldoren's range was nerfed a long time ago.

Just thoughts though, I much prefer its very core gameplay gets touched upon first (Even though I am biased by my current character to say there should be a lightning based monk skill)
I can't say how best to change monk, but I think that it suffers from a similar position (if not worse) to ranger as I mentioned in a post recently. It's painfully mediocre, but not quite enough to actually warrant changes. I myself have made nice use of it here and there, but I think that it's fair to say that very few people play monk to do monk things. martial artist has some nice stuff, particularly if you main class, and between it and monk most builds can get nice hp and fp sustain skills as well as an all round nice skill in kadouha. Unfortunately, that's usually where monk ends for almost everyone that uses it. giving the attack scalings and/or fist swa as a whole some love would be nice. Making ki a more flexible resource to build and making other skills be as tempting to spend it on as kadouha would also do wonders for the class.
I feel a number of monks skills need to be affected and match luminary element
I certainly feel like monk is a bit out of date. Its not bad, but certainly could do a bit better.

I would probably add Ki Awoken to the list of things that might want a little rework/reimagining. At the very least cap how much HP% you can lose per round to like 5%, cause the price almost never truly outweighs the benefits.

Just more stats and a bit more Ki regen is a bit boring for its costs, as much as I like the skill. spiffed up monk skills during it would also be cool, but yeah.