Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Baphomet's Special Strike is underwhelming
It does 40 fire damage to a target and all targets 2 tiles around.
On Spatial boss, this did 2 damage and to 45-50 mobs it does 24-27 damage. While extra damage is nice and the increasing rng is also nice, maybe having the base being lower with a + fire ATK modifier would make it a bit better.  Maybe like 20-30 + 30-50% Fire ATK to the main target, and half that for targets around or making it unresistable, but that seems a little broken.

[Image: unknown.png?size=4096]
#nerf summoner
#nerf poison
Most of the special strikes are actually pretty lame, to be honest.

I've primarily been using a Nullifying Dagger, which has possibly one of the most impactful special strikes. Giving +15 damage and a -15% elemental res shred on spells for this turn. This is pretty solid!

And then you've got Sthenno, which adds 15 damage and nixes the FP cost of your next spell. Okay, neat.

These are valid effects, but considering their RNG-based chance of proccing, I feel they could all be a bit more. ESPECIALLY the ones that just don't really do anything like Baphomet's.

(Btw it would be really really sick if we could have some kind of visual effect when these go off, it'd make them feel a lot cooler than just being extra numbers.)
I do think a lot of Special Strikes could use some buffs, especially since some of them really just don't stand up to even some regular On Hit effects, despite having cooldowns and a 10-20% proc chance at first.

Though I'm also unsure what those changes should be yet, I feel like waiting for more people to use Special Strike weapons to see which ones need the love most.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Slydria's post:
  • Fern, K Peculier, Shujin
I think that the power of most of them should be increased to something more akin to the nullifying dagger if not stronger still, and the base chance and chance increase should both be quite a bit higher. They should play like powerful but somewhat unpredictable potentials that are weighted to go off every so often. Right now they just play like potentials but worse due to being chance based, along with the chance and chance increase being so low that you get them off maybe 2 or 3 times tops in the average fight.
Dynaxis suffers the same problem. 15% chance of what amounts to, on average, +10 damage and +15 crit is a little bit underwhelming. I could understand if they didn't have a cooldown, but this feels like a situation of 'This is new, and I would rather start low and tweak up than start high and tweak down'.

I have no suggestions other than making the lower performing ones like Baphomet and Dynaxis into a higher trigger rate or removing their CD. But I haven't seen enough of the Specials to have a concrete opinion on the entire bunch. OH. Having them not screw you out of things like Fleur and crits (I think the Black Spear does this) would be nice too.
It should be noted that Special Strikes have a bad luck protection set in place, which is the percentage displayed beside the number, so while they have low percentages, they do happen over time in the very likely scenario.

I agree that they could all be better, but it is better to have them be weak at first than overtuned at the very least I can say.
I also wanna note that I was told special strikes only trigger on the ATTACK command, which I think is pretty sad- maybe they would be busted but I would like for it to trigger on ALL basic hitting moves, even if they required a tune down or something.

The thought of getting a special strike checkmate sounds sick.
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=18750966]
I personally was a little disapointed when I saw the special strikes of many weapons.

I wanted to use that one new lighting sword but, the special strike is basically basic raijin on hit effects. While yes it does the one static field...Its never gonna be better than a normal on hit effect.

kinda made me think that you rather swap the effects around aka have the on hit damage normally and sometimes deal the extra static field effect.

Either way, agree with whats being said here, most weapons with special strike fall one this problem. Either super weak, have a high CD/low trigger rate, or both.
Maybe UL could at least add to Special Strike activation chance in general? That would mean +20% chance at max upgrades in Korvara. But I also feel like they don't feel too "special" when they can be worse than normal on-hits. It feels like the effort you go through to unlock the strike doesn't add up to what you get...

(07-25-2022, 08:03 AM)Kiss Wrote: I also wanna note that I was told special strikes only trigger on the ATTACK command, which I think is pretty sad- maybe they would be busted but I would like for it to trigger on ALL basic hitting moves, even if they required a tune down or something.

The thought of getting a special strike checkmate sounds sick.

Yeah, it's only the normal attacks (attack/sub-attack/special attack 1 trait such as stab/etc). I also wish it'd trigger on general basic attacks, I feel like it would make them more valuable.

I think that if they were intended to be very small effects, they should at least trigger more frequently.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]