Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Growths] Growth Defaulting System
1. Swapping classes to grind with does not need to be IC. You can OOCly equip classes for growths, while ICly having a set of classes which you use. You don't seem to understand this, for some reason. You don't always need to grind ICly, either. Not everyone is a weak greenhorn who comes to Sigrogana, drinks the magic water, and becomes a powerhouse in a week.

(Most) People don't suddenly change classes without some sort of reasoning or RP. Maybe they had a character concept that wasn't possible with the given classes, and then switched when it became possible. Maybe they had some development. Who knows? And if you're having that much trouble getting to 60 and no one wants to help you, maybe that's an issue with how much people (don't) like you in a game focused on cooperation.

2. Some classes naturally compliment one another. Minmaxing is not as omnipotent as you think it is. Having semi-balanced growths is actually much better, and more effective. Having 80 Will is fine and dandy, but not having any defensive stats means you -will- lose the moment that something doesn't fall over the moment you look at it. Which is often. But it's true. Some classes are simply better at PvE. But you're mixing the issues of growths and grinding effectiveness.

3. Why wouldn't you LE after unlocking the classes you wanted to grind with? A lack of foresight doesn't mean that the system is broken.

4. Some conversations are alright to intrude on, and some aren't. If you never get a good reaction when you speak to someone, the issue might not lie with them. And these common rants of yours enforce this idea. Also, training day shouldn't affect your computer at all, that's simply the game being laggy.

EX: A character of mine with 18 Base Resistance takes zero damage from Black Beasts. Equipment is more important than stats. And if you're not taking any damage, you don't need AoEs.

Not trying to be mean here, but you don't seem to have a very good grip on the game's Meta, and should probably refrain from commenting on it until you do.
First off, Blues, I see your post and will reply to it shortly. Been typing this post up for awhile, so posting it now. Not ignoring you. Just throwing that out there.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=5642#p5642 Wrote:Sarinpa1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:49 pm[/url]"]So your only argument is "wow bad rp". (Didn't you have a twelve year old combatant? )
If you swap around classes and go "I am suddenly X" and the moment you swap "no thats in the history, i am now this" that's your own shit RP, not something you're forced to.

I hate grinding. I dislike anything related to the repetitive fighting. So I often don't even pay attention to it. But atleast twice a day I hear people on ooc asking about parties.
You also throw up random ideas and posts on the forums so frequently, you surely must be involved enough with the community to have friends......right?

And for your inability to tackle black beasts of your own level.
Man. If you can't devise a tactic, or procure the gear I spoke of that'd help you. You're just BAD. Not the system. YOU. Disclaimer : Peer reviewed opinion.

1) I did indeed have a 10 year old (who aged over time; is presently 17) "combattant" by which I mean "10 year old orphan teaming up with a 16 year old friend to survive after her mother died." ICly, she was actually quite weak. She had good reflexes (Oracle, and all that; her small size ICly attributed to her dodge) but very little stamina (Burned through FP quickly) and was fairly weak (Her basic attacks were made with a fist, as a Wil/Cel Verglas... yeah.) She also spent a time as a summoner, but lost her contracts via brain damage. She talked big, but she couldn't back it up. Sure, you could make the argument that I did indeed LE her, but that was actually mostly from RP exp anyways! While she was eventually able, as she aged, to save enough money to buy a house, she didn't do it alone, and she didn't do it fast.

Honestly, she was a complete joy to RP as. I don't see why you keep bring up the "kid combattant" thing. It was a very small aspect of her character, as well as being trained for it since it was a family tradition to blend the martial and mystic (Hence Verglas/GS. Her mother was my Evoker/Monk. However, at a young age age, the more potent magic was too much for her to handle, so she settled on contracting a weak youkai instead. She has since learned how to use Evoker spells, out of respect to her mother. However, she still feels uncomfortable using those spells.) Her more definining character traits were... well... literally everything else.

2) Note the above. I'm fully capable of having reasons to change classes without it being bad RP. I simply dislike doing so since the way everyone else seems to handle it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. So no. It's not "my shit RP." It's "everyone else's shit RP, which I do not like to join in on." It's the same reason you won't see me sitting against the arena wall, or going "Someone RP with me" in OOC.

3) Most of the times people ask for parties, they're either looking for 45+, or they're looking to shamelessly leech. Literally 2/3 of my non 45+ parties, when I DO somehow manage to party up, have one person or even multiple people just going AFK for the whole dungeon hoping we don't kick them.

Best I can tell no one "actually" random parties at medium level ranges due to multiple party member synergy being bad; Got an engineer and want to set up? You damn well bet someone else is going to berserk rush in and yell at you for not joining them. Want to hang back and heal at the start of a fight? Someone won't have Sneak and will make sure to move right beside you for no apparent reason, to lure things right to you. Want to get a youkai out right at the end for exp, enemy has 1 HP left, and you ask the person to just hit skip since you're faster than the enemy anyways? They'll still attack. Every time. If you have the stats, it will always be in your benefit to solo. You'll control the battlefield. Everything comes after you.

4) I do have friends. However, I have my characters to play with them, and I have my characters to play on my own. A character I really like but is tied down by a group is ICly unavailable when one of them is away, and a character I'm not in the mood to play, but everyone else wants to play the group, is meh. As such, I have my own personal characters completely seperate from any friends and/or acquaintances, and these characters don't have preset teams to work with.

5) Right, because how dare I not have any luck finding gear with perfect dark resist, and how dare my class not do fire damage. Yes, I am the worst, woe is me, I will never amount to anything besides being the worst. Or, you know, you could not be a douchebag about that. Seriously. You say getting dark resist as if everyone can have 100% dark resist by level 20 or something. Newsflash: it doesn't work that way. Especially if the character in question is an MG without fire bullets or fire shells, low vit and defenses, and excels in positioning/kiting, which is completely countered by Dark Calling. The addition of that one skill turned no less than 3 of my characters from expert beast slayers to expert beast prey, instantly.

Sure, I do have the characters that they're a complete joke against, such as my Doriad, who's even got a minor dark weakness, but enough res to laugh at their Roar. But those that don't excel against them... aren't objectively worse! The aforementioned MG actually has a good chance of wrecking the Doriad I just mentioned in PVP, if it came down to that. But no. (Begin Sarcasm) I am bad for having the gall to play something at a disadvantage against beasts. I have learned my lesson and will endeavor to stop being so terrible in the future. Especially when it comes to drops, how dare I not get all the perfectly ideal drops all the time. (End Sarcasm)
*loud burp*
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=5644#p5644 Wrote:MegaBlues » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:00 pm[/url]"]1. Swapping classes to grind with does not need to be IC. You can OOCly equip classes for growths, while ICly having a set of classes which you use. You don't seem to understand this, for some reason. You don't always need to grind ICly, either. Not everyone is a weak greenhorn who comes to Sigrogana, drinks the magic water, and becomes a powerhouse in a week.

(Most) People don't suddenly change classes without some sort of reasoning or RP. Maybe they had a character concept that wasn't possible with the given classes, and then switched when it became possible. Maybe they had some development. Who knows? And if you're having that much trouble getting to 60 and no one wants to help you, maybe that's an issue with how much people (don't) like you in a game focused on cooperation.

I don't ICly "grind." That is stupid. Who the fuck ICly "grinds?" I ICly explore, work, etc. There's good money in securing trade routes, you know, and BDPs show up everywhere. I may have been tasked with a mission to recover cores for research, or even just some cocky man trying to impress a woman. In other words, I like to RP every BDP, whenever the party is in agreement. And yes, I RP attacks; I plan my actions while others are perfoming theirs, and I type fast, so it's not much of a delay at all.

As I stated before, I understand full well that developments come up. However, I've seen FAR, FAAAAAAR too many people ICly say things like "Yeah, I used to be (class name) but now I'm (class name) because I just felt like it" to make me want to pull my hair out. And there really is a limit to what you can RP as something else. For example, let's say my Kensei/Arbalest were to go Kensei/Bonder for a bit... Youkai can't be RP'd as a bow, and it would be a drastic change to simply give up such a primary aspect of your combat style (Pulling shot to reel them in and knock them down, Repel then Sidecut, etc) to do something else. Simply put, changing classes for growths alone is, from an RP standpoint, terrible, and "lol just do it OOCly" is simply a lazy solution.

I do not play this game to grind. I play this game to RP. That's the simple truth.

Quote:2. Some classes naturally compliment one another. Minmaxing is not as omnipotent as you think it is. Having semi-balanced growths is actually much better, and more effective. Having 80 Will is fine and dandy, but not having any defensive stats means you -will- lose the moment that something doesn't fall over the moment you look at it. Which is often. But it's true. Some classes are simply better at PvE. But you're mixing the issues of growths and grinding effectiveness.

The problem is RNG. Here's a screenshot of a level 37 Raid Mech Bonder/Verglas with more balanced growths. The goal was to create an offensive character who can go up against Def or Res equally well, and who doesn't need much in the way of defenses due to Parraeta/Meditate.

https://i.gyazo.com/760a5c468791de26e349...259f99.png

It's best stat is already a full 10 below it's level, with no hope of ever catching up. Sure, it's not terrible, but it will only get worse. This thing does have a serious chance of making it to 60, but it also has a serious chance of needing to leech at 45+ to have any chance of doing enough damage to win, as well.

Here's the issue. You know how you're guaranteed at least 3 stats at level up? If your stats are min/maxed, and your unimportant growths stay low... the odds of getting your other stats increases. Well balanced growths could very well get more total gains overall, but how many of those gains are you using at once? You can either dodge or you can't. You can miss, or it's autohit. You use Physical attacks or you use Magical attacks. At any one time, the vast majority of those stats aren't even coming into play, and the ones that do are simply inferior. If you end up with only 35 str, and your opponent has 0 Def and 40 Res, someone with 80 will is STILL hitting harder than you!

Quote:3. Why wouldn't you LE after unlocking the classes you wanted to grind with? A lack of foresight doesn't mean that the system is broken.

I've said it before and I've said it again: How the fuck can one expect to LE if they're too RNG screwed to make it to 60 in the first place?

Quote:4. Some conversations are alright to intrude on, and some aren't. If you never get a good reaction when you speak to someone, the issue might not lie with them. And these common rants of yours enforce this idea. Also, training day shouldn't affect your computer at all, that's simply the game being laggy.

Oh, I'm not the one intruding. I'm the one being intruded ON. Constantly. Here's a screenshot from a few months ago where I (Welkin Neoma) threatened to call the guards on a guard for harassment over just such an intrusion:

http://i.gyazo.com/eb7a66235046965d3091ff4007e0edd9.png

And yes, it really does affect my computer. I can't barely handle Skype + SL2 at once on this sack of crap comp. More traffic in one area means more data for the comp to proccess. It's not so bad elsewhere, but the arena sometimes crashes it completely on training day.

Quote:EX: A character of mine with 18 Base Resistance takes zero damage from Black Beasts. Equipment is more important than stats. And if you're not taking any damage, you don't need AoEs.

Not trying to be mean here, but you don't seem to have a very good grip on the game's Meta, and should probably refrain from commenting on it until you do.

So... not having good luck with gear drops = not having a good grip on meta? Getting lucky with cores is more important than analyzing classes and applications, strategies and counters, and all that? I disagree. I disagree completely.
*loud burp*
Going to try and keep this short to mitigate expanding numeration wars.

Your luck is shit, I'm sorry. That's why LEing exists. You might not be able to solo a crazy dungeon, but with the right equipment (or a good class setup until you find it/buy it/beg for it), you should be able to survive a regular fight.

If you need to leech, leech. Make some friends OOCly. It does suck, but the system is based off of average, presumably, and what you're working with is well below average. Trying to do a little bit of everything means you need to get lucky, or you'll be awful. Stick to one thing if you don't want to go through the heartache.

Being antagonized means that someone takes interest in you. Be glad, work with it. IC unpleasantness doesn't have to trickle into OOC.

PvE relies heavily on equipment, if you're doing things alone and don't have a method of healing.
All right, I'll try to make my post slightly less wall of text-y, too. (EDIT: I think I failed. Sorry!)

Actually, if you look at the stats I posted before, they're not that far below the expected statistical average. 71% is just shy of 75%, and the level is just shy of 40. 75% of 40 is 30, and my stats at 71% are almost at 30. Sure, I missed a few extras once you factor in the Base stats as well, but point being, that is perfectly within reasonable variance (especially when you consider the first 20 levels were spent as a Summoner/MA, so only a 25% str growth for a chunk of that, until packrat and Style Bledning.) It's subpar, but it's well within the reasonable range for those growths. And heck, I'd argue that Vit is over the expected amount for that growth. Sure, my luck sucks sometimes (such as, again, that level 28 evoker/monk with 12 will) a few of my characters actually come out looking fairly average if you look at Growths vs Level. It's just that unless those growths are high, the end result is crap.

I do have OOC friends, but we also have characters we play together ICly. And if I'm not in the mood to get roped into those circles, I simply don't bring up the game with them. Take Katia Nimevere for example. The player is a pretty nice guy and all, but do I really want every new character I make to get roped into Kat hugs, especially if their personality is completely incompatible with Katia? I just don't want to look like a douchebag if they want to RP and I say no, so I elect to just keep some personal characters on the side, you know?

Anyways, since I've been playing for a year, I may as well clarify: I DO have a "pack mule" character (ICLy dead; using as storage) I just store all my extra crap on when I remake or whatnot, and I DO have a decent gear stockpile on there, but I'm simply not touching it until usually level 40-ish due to rules on Twinking. So maybe I'm gimping myself by following the rules. But I'd rather not get in trouble for it. Same reason I've never attempted multikey for anything other than RP.
*loud burp*
Y-you didn't respond to my suggestion. I am sad.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=5657#p5657 Wrote:Sawrock » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:06 pm[/url]"]Y-you didn't respond to my suggestion. I am sad.

Sorry, Sawrock. I must have missed your post since I have it set to 10 posts per page and you posted while I was writing my reply to Sarin.

The issue with your idea is that it lets people min/max a little too easily. Want to play an LB with Evoker growths? You see what I mean. I personally have nothing against it (since you need to unlock them anyways) but I just know the community would RIOT.
*loud burp*
But people do that anyway, with switching classes right before they're about to level... XD
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=5664#p5664 Wrote:Sawrock » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:46 am[/url]"]But people do that anyway, with switching classes right before they're about to level... XD

The people who min/max, yeah.
[Image: rsz_c1ccb08eb04837ddc6b315f834f7f11a.png]
I don't see any reason why people should be against such a trait as suggested by Ranylyn. It's just a tool to not have to constantly shift classes simply because your growths aren't optimal.

Heck, if anything I would suggest having a trait that allows you to use the Growths of a Unlocked Class (Main and Sub if you have style blending, maybe have Style blending a prerequisite) while playing another one. You can basically get the same result without it, it's just less work.