Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logs written directly to physical Text file
This has, in all likelyhood, been mentioned already, but i tried a quick search and nothing seemed to show up. so, here i am.

I request logs be written and saved as a physical text file in real time, rather than being saved server side for you to download later. I wish to be able to save cool roleplay moments and while i know you can do it currently, its based off client session only. I also think it can be helpful OOCly by clarifying details (for example, if a rp issue comes up where two sides saw different things).

I'm not sure if the reason its not done currently is technical restrictions or otherwise.
If you use old chat you can right click -> log and it will do this. With HTML formatting, no less.
(09-13-2022, 09:17 AM)Tana Wrote: If you use old chat you can right click -> log and it will do this. With HTML formatting, no less.

Oh. That's neat.
... How does one know if they have the old chat? Right clicking doesn't show this for me so i'm assuming i'm not.
Old chat is any tab that isn't 'Chat'.

All, Battle, Talk, OOC, Guild, and Debug are all 'old chat'.

It's also worth noting that with old chat, it's possible to have a log not save your entire session if you don't begin logging soon enough. So if you want to use old chat for the sake of logging it's suggested you right click the chat box of whatever tab you prefer to use for RP (I use All personally) and click 'Log' that way everything from the start of your session will be recorded.
Option already exist throught the help button

[Image: unknown.png]
There's no elegant way to do this in BYOND as far as I'm aware, because I don't believe you can add new lines to a text file on the user's storage. It'd have to send the entire log every line; considering that this happens very frequently, and sometimes to many users at once, I imagine it would cause quite a bit of lag if someone's log has gotten large.