Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PvE Improvement
PvE as it stands, even with the recent addition of monsters gaining certain class skills, is monotonous and tiresome. Yet it's necessary if you want to be effective in other aspects of the game.

There's two issues I'll be addressing:

1. Dungeons as they stand are fairly dull. Once you've been in one, you've seen them all. Some dungeon types/prefixes mix things up or make things extremely frustrating without offering any real reason to go to them over a similar dungeon without the aggrivating qualities (i.e. crypts, spacey). There was a suggestion in the past to add new prefixes, which addressed this issue somewhat. (link)

2. Grinding in general is tedious as a result of the aforementioned issue, though with the semi-recent addition of training day and the exp-table changes, it was made somewhat less time-consuming. For people who cannot clear mobs optimally (I will not list examples to avoid silly arguments over who can clear fastest or 'oh i can do this') it can still be frustrating to reach the level cap. Some stats are just objectively better for PvE in terms of clear-time, and if your character lacks them, you -will- take longer without asking friends for help who -do- have those stats.

Onto the first issue. Going off the previous thread made on the topic, having dungeon prefixes be more varied, or simply give different rewards based on difficulty would be a start. Making dungeons somehow more difficult whether it be by giving monsters equipment/resists, or simply adding in some of the suggestions from that thread would be justified if said difficulty modifiers were followed up by making the rewards for clearing the dungeon, whether it be exp or items, greater than your average dungeon. Right now, the hardest dungeon you can get is simply more mobs on a larger map (or more mobs on a smaller map, depends on your build) and even then things aren't really any harder than having 3 or 2 mobs.

As mentioned in the thread regarding the Bands of x items, cores generally give very lackluster items, with a very slight chance to get what you actually want. The problem I see is that cores are pulling from literally every item in the game that meets its qualifications, thus narrowing in on what you want is impossible. A 0.12% chance to get an item while you're rolling for every single other item with that chance...odds are you'll never personally see that item. A suggestion to fix that would be allowing more core-crafting options, maybe make rarer items craftable but require cores? The recipes can be as insane as you'd want them to be, but it's better to have some kind of guarantee than potentially /never/ getting what you want. Another possibility is to make certain dungeons pull from certain tables of items, but, the point is there should be a way to better your odds beyond just getting more items.

-----

That's all I'll say on that for now, so, now for the second.

Grinding, is, as the term implies...grinding. It's to be expected to not receive instant gratification for it, but, after doing it over and over again, you have to wonder why there aren't any ways to make things go faster beyond 'nuke mobs more efficiently' which isn't an option everyone has. What I'd suggest is making ways to speed things up without necessarily making it so you have to clear the fights faster (although that will always be a quicker route, that's a topic for another day) which can be accessed by anyone. Something like increasing how many ranks you can buy of Deja Vu, so leing over and over will be slightly quicker. For people who don't plan to do more than a single run or two, adding in more 'green' items that boost experience is also valid, or any items really that'd effect exp gains. Or even a trait--the point is that the easiest way to make grinding faster, beyond overhauling pve, is to make exp gains easier and more abdunant. I'd also ask that, if these options were implemented, whatever the exp gain cap is should be lifted, or provide some way to lift it.

I don't have much more to say than 'add more exp modifiers' to fix grinding in general. How obtainable they are isn't too important as long as it's not overly excessive.

-----

TL;DR Dungeons need to vary more in difficulty and give greater rewards based on such, grinding needs to be less of a chore.
My proposal to fix this is simple.

Hardcore dungeons.
You can't survive this without some serious preparation, potion use, whatever. You will die. Question is, how soon.

The rewards would be imnese and obviously it would require some sort of tweaking to avoid just lol evoker swarm. But I want to see this. There's plenty room for tactics but just lack of a need for any of that. Crazy is already a nice taste of that, but it's still not suicidal if you know what you're doing. Infact, you don't have much of a hard time if you're prepared.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=5958#p5958 Wrote:Sarinpa1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:02 pm[/url]"]
Hardcore dungeons.

Basically

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=833#p833 Wrote:Mivereous » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:36 pm[/url]"](Dungeon Name) of Depth - This Dungeon reverberates with echoes of screams of the long ago past. This Dungeon has 15+ floors. Level 15-Level 40

(Dungeon Name) of Deception - Enemies are not what they appear to be. I.e., running into a Jammer may give you a Fireblood battle, etc. Level 30+

(Dungeon Name) of Sealing - This Dungeon has been sealed, and probably for good reason. Floors are half-size, but each staircase is Sealed. Level 50+

(Dungeon Name) of Mimicry - This dungeon seems loaded with treasure, but it may be tough getting to it. Chests are actually BDP monsters, disguised by the power of the Core. Attempting to open a chest in this dungeon will initiate a battle with a miniboss in it. If a Crazy dungeon, it will act as such in the battle. Level 25+

(Dungeon Name) of Vitality - This dungeon seems to be flowing with rejuvenating waters - and the monsters inside have had it longer than you. Monsters in this dungeon have 1.5x HP and 1.25x FP. The boss of this dungeon has 3x HP, and 1.5x FP. There is a Water Fountain on each floor. Level 45+

Etc
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: She left me for WoW?! THIS IS BULLSHIT

Quote:Underwhelmed green-haired girl shouts "BITING EACH OTHER IS NOT A LIZARD SEX THING."
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=5961#p5961 Wrote:Mivereous » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:20 pm[/url]"]
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=5958#p5958 Wrote:Sarinpa1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:02 pm[/url]"]
Hardcore dungeons.

Basically

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=833#p833 Wrote:Mivereous » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:36 pm[/url]"](Dungeon Name) of Depth - This Dungeon reverberates with echoes of screams of the long ago past. This Dungeon has 15+ floors. Level 15-Level 40

(Dungeon Name) of Deception - Enemies are not what they appear to be. I.e., running into a Jammer may give you a Fireblood battle, etc. Level 30+

(Dungeon Name) of Sealing - This Dungeon has been sealed, and probably for good reason. Floors are half-size, but each staircase is Sealed. Level 50+

(Dungeon Name) of Mimicry - This dungeon seems loaded with treasure, but it may be tough getting to it. Chests are actually BDP monsters, disguised by the power of the Core. Attempting to open a chest in this dungeon will initiate a battle with a miniboss in it. If a Crazy dungeon, it will act as such in the battle. Level 25+

(Dungeon Name) of Vitality - This dungeon seems to be flowing with rejuvenating waters - and the monsters inside have had it longer than you. Monsters in this dungeon have 1.5x HP and 1.25x FP. The boss of this dungeon has 3x HP, and 1.5x FP. There is a Water Fountain on each floor. Level 45+

Etc
I wouldn't see any of these as particularly challenging. Annoying? Yes. Slapping more HP on a boss doesn't make it harder, it just makes it take longer to kill. Putting more sealing stones in a dungeon causes lots of frustrating running around clicking things, but that's not difficulty. That's time-consuming. Deception... okay? It might add a new mob type, but that's not necessarily going to make a battle harder. It would've meant more back when dungeons were all mono-type. They're neat in concept, but I can't see them adding anything to the challenge factor. They would, however, raise the frustration factor. For that I think it would actually be a step in the wrong direction.

As for the initial suggestion itself, I'm not sure how raising dungeon difficulty is going to address the issue of grinding being tedious. To be honest, grinding wouldn't be any more entertaining to me regardless of how much the difficulty was raised. Monsters can't really RP with me, and I don't find them interesting to fight. They're just a means to an end: training a character to the point where I'm comfortable using them in IC situations that actually matter, and odds are that that's the way it's going to stay. When I'm grinding I'm not thinking "this is so much fun", I'm staring at the EXP bar thinking "I hate this. It's repetitive and soul-crushing, and I can't wait to be done with it." Of course, whenever I make a new character I have to deal with it again, because every other method of gaining EXP is far inferior.

tl;dr: This may be just my opinion, but... grinding isn't fun. It will never be fun. I can't remember a time I've ever set foot in a B.D.P. and wasn't filled with a powerful desire to just log off and do something else (which I often did). The only good grinding system is a quick and painless grinding system. I would rather see the exp requirements toned down than see dungeons get any more "upgrades." If it isn't obvious, yes, I am mostly sour about issue 2, because issue 1 looks like a lost cause.
[Image: jzdlBPn.png]
Hardcore dungeons in my idea train? They are not only tough, but they also deal more damage.

Also, possibly untouching dungeons, but what about permadungeons that'd work Fire Emblem style? We already have massive battlefields we can scroll through, don't see why we couldn't have these. (Althrough it'd be very nice if party limit was raised in those. You don't want to be hindered by some asshole that's taking their sweet time? Well, don't party with assholes, amirite.)

Edit : To elaborate. They'd be massive battles that'd take quite the amount of time, meaning you cannot rely on food to survive, forcing resource management. Given they could be carefuly tailored to endanger both tanks and mages (And field magic would have to be tweaked in these, or made unusable completely, because idk, structural integrity nonsense, whatever), there wouldn't be a specific build that'd have the advantage. (Aside from probably GS. Because of the massive FP recovery. But they dominate PvE already so eh.)
But Sarin, Power up is a thing.
Haaa, here's where it comes. Much like in the Fire Emblem games, you would have higher rewards according to your SPEED.(Read, amount of rounds) So just sitting back, chilling, powering up and meditating so you never die would be a pretty bad idea.

But it'd probably really require few sets of pre-tailored maps with enemy placement and choice. So it really is balanced. If you look at other games, sure, at some point strategy guides become a thing, but I don't think lack of randomization would hurt this concept.
I do like the way castle battle maps are set up, and seeing larger versions of that, or other battle maps changed into something like that, would be pretty cool and immersive, assuming there's a few variants.

That speed idea sounds cool too, as long as normal dungeons get ignored or adjusted for it, since they lack difficulty sometimes.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: She left me for WoW?! THIS IS BULLSHIT

Quote:Underwhelmed green-haired girl shouts "BITING EACH OTHER IS NOT A LIZARD SEX THING."
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=5966#p5966 Wrote:Sarinpa1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:22 am[/url]"]Haaa, here's where it comes. Much like in the Fire Emblem games, you would have higher rewards according to your SPEED.(Read, amount of rounds) So just sitting back, chilling, powering up and meditating so you never die would be a pretty bad idea.

You had me until this. I was on board until you completely invalidated Engineer (mah set ups,) among other classes. Berserker tactics only, Final Destination Only, Items Mandatory! Sorry, but I can't possibly be on board for that. I think it's better to encourage a party's class variety than encourage samey characters.

Speed being linked to higher rewards is not an inherently bad idea, but we need to balance it out so every class is viable in it's own way.

My own idea on ranking system:

Based on 400 points. 100 for 4 criteria. 350+ is maximum reward. 150 is needed for ANY reward.

Speed. A base turn, say... turn 5, is given. Clearing it by or beforehand is max points. Points are docked per turn beyond that, based on the level of Challenge (Earlier battles may only take off 5-10, while later ones may do 30-75, to a minimum of 0 points.)

Max hits. Do it in style! Got multiple multihit skills? This will encourage teams to have at least one good multihit user, or the ability to create new attackers (Summoner, Engineer, etc.) Points start at 0 and rack up per attack landed. This discourages simply going "lol evoker" and also removes the need to limit magic for balance, if you want the best rewards.

Power hit. What was your single strongest hit? Based on enemy defenses, a max value is assigned, and only making a percentage of that will net you the percentage of points. 300 is the value, and you landed 200? 67 points. This encourages you to not just grab all the MGs in sight, but also to keep something like an Evoker or Arbalest handy.

Damage Taken. What is your party's percentage of remaining MAX hp? The more efficiently (read: less beat up) you can fight, the better! Naturally, this makes a healer valuable, due to potion sickness, and presumably much higher difficulty.

This should be a fairly fair balance, IMO.
*loud burp*
The likelyhood of it being implemented decreases with every special feature that gets toppled ontop of it, lets keep that in mind.
I didn't make it too clear but I would like these dungeons to still have the insane difficulty. Ergo not for everyone, but an option of "If you're really that good, come get your faster grinding."
as an alternative to

"yawn. 4561th encounter." *files nails*
Point taken, and that is very true about the special features making it less likely to be implemented.

I'm just saying that the classes that would be good for speed already grind the fastest anyways. Making it more accessible would only be a good thing.
*loud burp*
Perhaps if we had a chance of meeting NPC's and RNG quests would be great.