Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turn order Shenanigans [2.70f]
This has been an issue in the game for a good long while, and its infuriating to have it happen to you, and also infuriating to have it happen FOR me, as I don't like winning to buggy shenanigans. The main issue seems to be that when summoned units die, it reorders turns to allow slower people to move first. This generally allows for one side to get a double turn.

If you're fighting a summoner or an engineer, and you go down and they only have one unit left, it tends to allow them to move first in the next round.
Example: Summoner Joe goes down to Axeman Bob, Carbuncle remains standing. Turn order was always Joe, Bob, Carbuncle, now its suddenly Carbuncle, Bob which allows Carbuncle to move twice in a row, winning the battle despite always acting slower before then.

In 1v1 combat this tends to always allow the summoner with auto summon to move first even with no celerity too, as turns like to be staggered.

When your wraithguard dies it can still flip-flop turn order.
50 cel ghost with a wraithguard vs a 5 celerity black knight: Ghost always moves first as expected.
Instant wraithguard dies? Suddenly the 5 celerity black knight moves first. (Starting from the next round onwards, of course.)

This is often game determinative in the least fun way possible. 

Other issues:
Summoned units always act in the same section of turn order. Generally the bottom. But this becomes problematic when summoners fight each other. There's no staggering of turns for summoned units, so I've had battles where:
Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D, TEN YOUKAI OF PERSON A IN A ROW, then TEN YOUKAI OF PERSON C IN A ROW.
Which seems a bit silly for ten youkai belonging to one person to move before all ten youkai belonging to another person's.
None of these are bugs to my knowledge, save for the Wraithguard bit. Since Wraithguard doesn't have any momentum and doesn't have a turn, meaning it being alive or dead shouldn't displace anyone in the turn order.

Otherwise, this is just the round-robin system functioning as intended, including the youkai/summoned unit part.
number 1 GTer EU
(02-20-2023, 06:09 AM)JamOfBoy Wrote: None of these are bugs to my knowledge, save for the Wraithguard bit. Since Wraithguard doesn't have any momentum and doesn't have a turn, meaning it being alive or dead shouldn't displace anyone in the turn order.

Otherwise, this is just the round-robin system functioning as intended, including the youkai/summoned unit part.

I've got another thing that happened to me recently.

I went first and an engineer had summoned a railgan before.
The turn order was

Me (70 cel)
Engineer
Railgan

I kill the engineer that turn. Railgan charges

Next turn the order is:
Railgan
Me

It gets it shot off because of that. 
Is this classified as a bug or not? I'm legitimately asking cause I don't know.
Unfortunate but not a bug
(02-20-2023, 07:20 AM)Lolzytripd Wrote: Unfortunate but not a bug

It does not make any sense! Getting double turned like that probably shouldn't be a thing, it's counter intuitive and probably not great design but this seems like it should be a suggestion thread instead.
Balance issue, but turn order working as designef
(02-20-2023, 07:02 AM)caliaca Wrote: Me (70 cel)
Engineer
Railgan

[...]

Next turn the order is:
Railgan
Me

[...]

Is this classified as a bug or not? I'm legitimately asking cause I don't know.

I don't know entirely but I can hazard a guess:

When the summoner is alive, summoned units do not count for the turn order, taking their turns after all PCs/main participants. Youkai and robots will always go last.
UNLESS the summoner/engineer is dead, in which case they assume regular turn order rules.

You killed the Engineer on your turn. The turn order at the start of that round was calculated with the bot being disregarded in the turn order.
The game reads that as you going last for the round robin system, since the bot doesn't count for that round and the other participant died and didn't get a turn. Next round, it reads that you went last, and now that the engi bot is actively considered in the turn order, this means it goes first.
number 1 GTer EU