Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle Potions
Battle potions! And their current problems. These potions currently have little or no real purpose; relics of the past that require updates. The game at the moment is a game of momentum. How you use said momentum is very important. The elixirs in question offer a tiny benefit for far more momentum used. These potions require the user to already be banking on a large amount of stats from the get-go. Thus, the soft cap not only affects it, but the slots needed for those potions don’t outweigh magical stones and healing potions.
I have a few suggestions for the potions in question. These potions are:

Mind - Increase will by a certain %

Muscle - Increase strength by a certain %

Body - Increase Defense by a certain %

Ward - Increase Resistance by a certain %

Arcane - Turns STR scaling to WILL, change attack damage to magic but half the power and additional power included.

Firebreather - Gives access to breathe fire which operates without SWA or Hit. It uses only fire attacks. This is easily out-shadowed by any other fire attack in the game.

Snakebane - It gives poison resistance. There’s a potion that can outright remove the potion, as well as many other different things.

The rest are still viable, however, they simply can’t keep up with things like the magical stones and healing potions.

My suggestion towards fixing this is odd.
Mind, Strength, Body and Ward - require one’s stats to be high from the start to truly be effective, else the boost itself will be quite small. Even then, with the soft cap, the boost itself will still be small, regardless. The suggestion for these is to assign the boost to be static and with Perfect talent to improve the numbers. For example, Small = 10, Medium = 15 and Large = 20, however, with perfect, a certain amount affects base/cap to improve the value similar to the Dragon King Set or even the Dragon Queen.

Arcane Potion - This one is simple? With the recent changes to weapons, this potion isn’t exactly that needed as there are weapons of many types and the strength stats are a lot easier to pad than others.
The suggestion for this potion is to apply the Magical tag to a weapon. A weapon gets -30% its main scaling and +40% Will scaling with the damage changed to magical instead. (Without the power drop, just give it potion sickness)

Firebreather - I’d suggest this works similar to that of a Youkai. 100% Fire attack + 2.5% per character LV while scaling with the hit of the equipped weapon similar to Vampire’s bite. With each size of the potion, the main fire attack increases by 25%. So at large, it’s 150% + 2.5% per level. If used by a Hyattr, increase the per a level by 50% and treat their next Fire breathing as if Channel Magic and Channel Destruction is applied.

Snakebane - This is still okay as it is. At most, I’d suggest it also getting status resistance against poisons as well; making it harder to be inflicted by poison attacks.

This will only fix their usefulness, but they would still run into two fundamental problems. Momentum and slots. The first suggestion I had in mind for this was these battle potions operating like Blue potion. Whereas they need only one on the belt. This would help with the slots situation.
As for the other? A trait.

Quote:Master Alchemist (5 points in Alchemist talent): When equipping potions (Not healing, Sal Volatile, Anti Toxin and Blue potion.), it increases the item bag slot by 0.5. 2 lower momentum cost for each potion (1 min.) (Not healing, Sal Volatile, Anti Toxin and Blue potion.) but would instead put each potion on a round one cooldown after usage.
[Image: BAWqB6P.png]
[Image: fa5d9fd2e3f77f27206bb134638b5f28.png]
[-] The following 6 users Like Senna's post:
  • Fern, firehawk11, K Peculier, Miller, Poruku, Trexmaster
Wow, yeah. We have so many potions in the game but none of them are really useful aside from hi-pot and a handful of utility ones. I'd love to see people actually use a variety of buff potions in battle
Administer the potions drugs, make their usage dubious and a conflicting issue and I'll be fully on board.
I do have an issue with some of those, as there are some powerful applications to the mind potions in particular, due to how luminary element works. That alongside the new dragon queen's set of items could allow one to have roughly 130 wil after drinking a large mind potion, which would be 130 elemental attack baseline (Then 2 from starsign, 5 from talent) for 137 elemental attack before even factoring in any other boosts, which is pretty strong. And with dragon queen's, your scaled wil would probably be over seventy.

I also like how Arcanic potion works atm, its niche but unique. I just think it should last longer, or have a 1m small version like the other body potions.

Firebreather potion's change you put fourth seems. . Entirely busted. That'd be 300% Fire attack with weapon accuracy on a weapon, and for hyattyrs, 375% except since it also double channels. . . So it'd be 475% fire attack + Level + Sanctity + Weapon accuracy.

If the potions lasted longer or had lower momentum costs I Think they'd all be really strong.
The mind/body etc already cost 1m with the small version, but compared to how op magical spellstones are, they still aren't really used.
The numbers and so on are up for debate and change. It's more to bring light to the potions and so on. Yes, the Fire breathing potion can be changed to something a lot more balanced yet usable. It's just wild ideas throughout that's mainly up to Dev for the final numbers if he agrees the potions needs a rework.

As for the luminary element, sounds like that needs to scale with SCALED WILL than current will as I'm pretty sure, due to the current potions being % meaning the higher the number is, the more you gain from it. And yes, momentum drop for those potions would make them a lot more open for use. Medium using 4 momentum and large....We don't talk about large.

Those potions suggestion were mainly so individuals don't need to already have a unreasonable high amount in that stats to make use of it. The Arcanic potion, as I've tried to make use of, with the addition of all the new items and scaling and so on, it loses its charm as it NEEDS an update. (As one would realize there are many different ways to work around currently for the pros and cons of using the potion.)

And yes, they're not commonly used because of their momentum tax. Their effects are not impactful enough to burn that much on; a similar problem the magical stones had before their momentum lower and adjustments.

Also I should add to the trait suggestion. Instead of all, allow small potions to be stackable like blue potions.
[Image: BAWqB6P.png]
[Image: fa5d9fd2e3f77f27206bb134638b5f28.png]
If arcanic just dropped the halved power thing it'd probably be fine to be honest.
If large potions in general costed 4m instead of 5, it'd also maybe be fine.
MIght be worth going for small tweaks instead of huge reworks, because I think i'd like to see how they stack up when they become usable in their current state.
I've had ideas for using arcanic, and realized the momentum costs and duration were too bad.
And I've also only had ideas for mind enhancer, as gaining a boost to the other stats is pretty weak. If it was a static buff maybe, but you're right in saying % buffs kind've only are worth doing at high stats. . Which means you get diminishing returns anyway.

The stat boosting potions fall fairly flat now just in general.

I also don't want blue potions to be stackable, to be fair. . .
Arcane potion is actually pretty good because it does NOT just add the magical tag, thats the only thing that makes it, niche cases, viable. It allows you to entirely forgo strength, and just get the 100% wil scaling instead of 100% strength, I think that uniqueness makes it interesting, persoanlly. If it were just arcane tag, I'd probably not care much for it.

That being said, the real issue is that its neither Item Slot efficent and not really momentum efficient, if compared to many magic stones and healing potions. But I do like its uniqueness in what it actually does.

About the rest? Stat potions have been in this very weird spot in a while now, that they are kinda just memes. (Very hard to craft ones, aswell.) So some changes to make them worth the crafting materials+ Item slot, be pretty cool.
So
Potion seller. I'm going into battle and I need your strongest potions.

It would be nice if the mushroom potions saw more extensive use if they got reworked like the suggestions here.
[Image: tenor.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like K Peculier's post:
  • Fern, Miller
I know this isn't entirely what OP is having in mind here, but I also wouldn't mind Potions like the stat enhancers, that actually just enhance stats for a couple of battles, kinda like how raid/food buffs work in other MMOs. This would be cool if you tried to tackle higher level mobs in PvE

Would that make them kinda mandatory for PvP? I guess...But I am also in the front that I think that the well prepared do deserve an advantage, and if everyone has the same advantage, then there is none to begin with.

(Honestly I'd also be entirely fine if the buffs were PvE exclusive, just to add some ideas though I guess off topic since that would be out of battle potions :thonkSmile
I mean you're allowed to drink hi potions and stuff out of battle.
Drinking stat potions out of battle but getting potion sickness, I think that'd be fine?
It'd make rp sense.

Being able to drink an arcanic before a battle starts would be so cool.
But it would then also need potion sickness or it becomes free which is lame.