Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
Null Hell
Null Shell's charged effect is a little too strong and reliable given the current limitations of nulls, you'll never see nulls like requinite or wash away or pressure filch having this amount of power, given Null Shell's charged effect is easier to proc with spark drive as well it can basically deny you statuses every single turn if the MG wants to, and if they're particularly devious, it can even proc twice in a round by using Charged shot first combined with Spark Drive.

I think that simply put, Null Shell's overcharge effect and its charged shot effect could be swapped, that way it gives the actually "Dispelling" part of null shell a makeshift cooldown, similarly to most other nulls in the game with their limitations.
[-] The following 4 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Akame, Joseph Jostar, Mr.SmileGod, Roland_Staghare
Null shell would be good for a change, but this ain't it.

Null shell, for multishot weapons, the weapons that benefit the most from spark drive which you called out, removes three beneficial status effects.  Three.  That's not a lot.  At least, not when you compare it to the six removed by singleshot weapons.  The other dispels are very rarely used- requinite is saved because its class-flexible and you simply lose some matchups without the ability to null off statuses.  Pressure Fletch costs Annorum, a much bigger resource than an Arcane Gun overcharge, washes away three status effects, and has no method of being passively built up like with Spark Drive or Thunder Drive.  Wash away is bad too.  It's a single status effect, and it's not as though you can choose which one- it's three if you're on void pollution, but that requires having set up with a black bolt earlier.  It's awful to make happen.  That, and it doesn't even have damage on it like Pressure Fletch and Null shell.

That's the reason Magic Gunner is even seen nowadays.  It's the only class with reliable dispels, an important mechanic in way too many matchups.

My personal feelings?  I don't think we should go the route of silence with all this, where nowadays the only reliable source of silence is a Hexer who's got their skill/will stacked to the ceiling.  I don't think it's interactive or fun to make the matchup between an optimally built mage and everyone else "pray you burst them down before they finish evoking their 3k damage isenshi."  I want to see nulls become relatively common place- Pressure fletch should remove one status even without annorum, and three or four with annorum.

But that's just me.  I'm gonna touch on your proposed change.  Making the elemental resist removal a charge effect is not a good idea.  You just mentioned before that spark drive makes it pretty easy to put out charge shots, which is what makes null shell reliable in the first place.  With this?  We're looking at that sort of thing, but instead of removing random statuses(and frequently being useless due to all the fodder statuses in the game), we're looking at invalidating all sorts of elemental resists.  That null resistances effect is really strong and its good in the place it is because it costs something for the magic gunner to use.  Instead of spamming dispels, now magic gunners will spam resist nulls so they can let their teammates do 9000 damage unhindered; this'd also bring even more rise, I think, to Narcus Tank Gunners, since the attack would hit, you'd null off enemy resistances....  And then that five hundred fire damage would slap down on an enemy, ignoring allll that resistance they had.  This is the sort of thing that specifically will invalidate players trying to build certain ways.  It'd even more intensify the kinda rock paper scissors dynamic of this game.

Null shell as it is has lots of counters.  Poise and Prophlyaxis are monstrous counters to Null Shell as things are, because its a constantly returning fodder status.  People frequently have arrows, a permanent status, applied to their character and left to sit- since, it can be nulled, and is a fodder status that gets in the way of nulling anything important.  Battle rush isn't that important to keep.  Easy fodder to block null shell.  Initiative buff, from First Move, works great for this sort of thing.  The competitive buff, for dealing high damage to gain status resistance, is another fodder buff.

Not to mention, outside of magic users and their Elemental Enchant?  Classes *do* have ways to play without a ton of buffs, just fine, and it's just a matter of adaptation.  I've heard Verglas' Ice Point Guard be called up as easy to counter with null shell, but, like, the player can literally just put the Ice Point Guard down as a tile.  The matchup's not that crazy.  Shapeshifter, I think it has weaknesses against null shell, but summoner itself has issues with mg- and I think that's a longer topic to go over regarding Summoner, when it has a good refresh done with it.

Now.  If we move that effect we all know for null shell to overcharge, unchanged?

It becomes in line with Pressure Fletch and wash away which NOBODY uses outside of desperate emergencies because sometimes buffs are busted and a matchup becomes unwinnable unless you remove an enemy's buff.

There are vibe guns that'd continue to frequently use it, and those are: Seed Sniper, Moonlight Mercy, Excel Sniper, Crazy Coyote, and Bell of No Rest.  Bell of No Rest and Coyote are singleshot weapons that synergize with spark drive, because of akimbo and because of double tap.  Coyote, particularly, is currently tuned way over every single other gun in the game, so I won't comment on that too much.  BoNR would have a lot less reason to use null shell, since now it needs to burn big resources to put out an actual effect that can't be put out super easy by anything else.  The snipers would use it just because they work better as a support role, especially seed sniper- So they'd frequently be used in teamfights, to basically pick out a target and say 'okay make him commit perish', like a sort of pseudo-buster cannon.  That's already the use of Overcharge null shell right now, but it costs an appropriate amount for what it does.

Here's my thoughts.  I think Null Shell should remain as is with its charge effect- a dispelling tool.  If it's seen as too strong?  Then just bring down the number of statuses that can be removed.  Make Null Shell Charge Power/3, which causes multishot weapons to inflict 2 dispels, just like Requinite, and singleshot weapons to inflict 4 dispels.

Honestly, I'd really prefer to just see dispels become more common.  Buff, not nerf, is a healthier way to handle this game in the state it's currently in, and null shell, as much as you all seem to pretend it is, is not unbeatable.  making it even harder to dispel statuses instead of just making dispels more accessible is just like the recent(bad) changes with silence.  It's nearly impossible to access except for a single class, which just.  Removes magic counters from the game.  This is why magic is so strong right now.  I really think it's important we think about the actual consequences to a change when we get upset over a matchup counter.  Knee jerk reactions don't help balance, and that's still the case with regards to null shell.

TL;DR
This reads clearly to me as "make null shell much less effective in some matchups and omnipresent in other matchups".  This isn't a healthy change to null shell.  I advise a minor nerf to how much Null Shell benefits from charge effects, if any, making multishots dispel 2 and singleshots 4.
Hard disagree with the mage sentiment there. People think that mage is too strong, when it's not. Evoker specifically is the issue with mages. That aside, dispell is an incredibly powerful effect, even if it's only 1 thing being removed. Perhaps annorum for a single dispell is too much, but in other cases? Many buffs are 3M, some are even 6M. Null shell lets you remove 3 of those, for a potential of 9m or more deficit to the enemy, for 3m if you crit with spark drive.

And one overcharge? 6M (or a saved spark drive shot) to just wipe their bar clean of most positive statuses. This isn't much of a 'mage counter' so much as it is an 'anyone that needs their statuses' counter. Evade stacking, BoI if you're not going to just gun away their immunity with multiple on-hits, crit stacking with things like Attrait. Youkai installs, transformations.Hell, I believe even salamander fury is nullable, isn't it? Many of curate's statuses, and the list goes on. Needing to overcharge for that kind of status removal isn't asking for a whole lot, if you ask me.

Though, I will say this: If elemental removals become a charge effect, I'd suggest changing it to -25% resist, to a minimum of 0, instead of outright removing them. That way, if you want to resist, you have to put actual effort towards resisting, instead of slapping on a CoMC and laughing at the fact that you have almost every resist in the game.

EDIT: That is to say, some sort of nerf is needed. Either of the options presented work for me, but I feel the overcharge effect switch is probably my preferred change of them.
[Image: unknown.png]
(08-19-2020, 04:25 PM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: Null shell would be good for a change, but this ain't it.

Null shell, for multishot weapons, the weapons that benefit the most from spark drive which you called out, removes three beneficial status effects.  Three.  That's not a lot.  At least, not when you compare it to the six removed by singleshot weapons.  The other dispels are very rarely used- requinite is saved because its class-flexible and you simply lose some matchups without the ability to null off statuses.  Pressure Fletch costs Annorum, a much bigger resource than an Arcane Gun overcharge, washes away three status effects, and has no method of being passively built up like with Spark Drive or Thunder Drive.  Wash away is bad too.  It's a single status effect, and it's not as though you can choose which one- it's three if you're on void pollution, but that requires having set up with a black bolt earlier.  It's awful to make happen.  That, and it doesn't even have damage on it like Pressure Fletch and Null shell.

That's the reason Magic Gunner is even seen nowadays.  It's the only class with reliable dispels, an important mechanic in way too many matchups.

My personal feelings?  I don't think we should go the route of silence with all this, where nowadays the only reliable source of silence is a Hexer who's got their skill/will stacked to the ceiling.  I don't think it's interactive or fun to make the matchup between an optimally built mage and everyone else "pray you burst them down before they finish evoking their 3k damage isenshi."  I want to see nulls become relatively common place- Pressure fletch should remove one status even without annorum, and three or four with annorum.

But that's just me.  I'm gonna touch on your proposed change.  Making the elemental resist removal a charge effect is not a good idea.  You just mentioned before that spark drive makes it pretty easy to put out charge shots, which is what makes null shell reliable in the first place.  With this?  We're looking at that sort of thing, but instead of removing random statuses(and frequently being useless due to all the fodder statuses in the game), we're looking at invalidating all sorts of elemental resists.  That null resistances effect is really strong and its good in the place it is because it costs something for the magic gunner to use.  Instead of spamming dispels, now magic gunners will spam resist nulls so they can let their teammates do 9000 damage unhindered; this'd also bring even more rise, I think, to Narcus Tank Gunners, since the attack would hit, you'd null off enemy resistances....  And then that five hundred fire damage would slap down on an enemy, ignoring allll that resistance they had.  This is the sort of thing that specifically will invalidate players trying to build certain ways.  It'd even more intensify the kinda rock paper scissors dynamic of this game.

Null shell as it is has lots of counters.  Poise and Prophlyaxis are monstrous counters to Null Shell as things are, because its a constantly returning fodder status.  People frequently have arrows, a permanent status, applied to their character and left to sit- since, it can be nulled, and is a fodder status that gets in the way of nulling anything important.  Battle rush isn't that important to keep.  Easy fodder to block null shell.  Initiative buff, from First Move, works great for this sort of thing.  The competitive buff, for dealing high damage to gain status resistance, is another fodder buff.

Not to mention, outside of magic users and their Elemental Enchant?  Classes *do* have ways to play without a ton of buffs, just fine, and it's just a matter of adaptation.  I've heard Verglas' Ice Point Guard be called up as easy to counter with null shell, but, like, the player can literally just put the Ice Point Guard down as a tile.  The matchup's not that crazy.  Shapeshifter, I think it has weaknesses against null shell, but summoner itself has issues with mg- and I think that's a longer topic to go over regarding Summoner, when it has a good refresh done with it.

Now.  If we move that effect we all know for null shell to overcharge, unchanged?

It becomes in line with Pressure Fletch and wash away which NOBODY uses outside of desperate emergencies because sometimes buffs are busted and a matchup becomes unwinnable unless you remove an enemy's buff.

There are vibe guns that'd continue to frequently use it, and those are: Seed Sniper, Moonlight Mercy, Excel Sniper, Crazy Coyote, and Bell of No Rest.  Bell of No Rest and Coyote are singleshot weapons that synergize with spark drive, because of akimbo and because of double tap.  Coyote, particularly, is currently tuned way over every single other gun in the game, so I won't comment on that too much.  BoNR would have a lot less reason to use null shell, since now it needs to burn big resources to put out an actual effect that can't be put out super easy by anything else.  The snipers would use it just because they work better as a support role, especially seed sniper- So they'd frequently be used in teamfights, to basically pick out a target and say 'okay make him commit perish', like a sort of pseudo-buster cannon.  That's already the use of Overcharge null shell right now, but it costs an appropriate amount for what it does.

Here's my thoughts.  I think Null Shell should remain as is with its charge effect- a dispelling tool.  If it's seen as too strong?  Then just bring down the number of statuses that can be removed.  Make Null Shell Charge Power/3, which causes multishot weapons to inflict 2 dispels, just like Requinite, and singleshot weapons to inflict 4 dispels.

Honestly, I'd really prefer to just see dispels become more common.  Buff, not nerf, is a healthier way to handle this game in the state it's currently in, and null shell, as much as you all seem to pretend it is, is not unbeatable.  making it even harder to dispel statuses instead of just making dispels more accessible is just like the recent(bad) changes with silence.  It's nearly impossible to access except for a single class, which just.  Removes magic counters from the game.  This is why magic is so strong right now.  I really think it's important we think about the actual consequences to a change when we get upset over a matchup counter.  Knee jerk reactions don't help balance, and that's still the case with regards to null shell.

TL;DR
This reads clearly to me as "make null shell much less effective in some matchups and omnipresent in other matchups".  This isn't a healthy change to null shell.  I advise a minor nerf to how much Null Shell benefits from charge effects, if any, making multishots dispel 2 and singleshots 4.

Isn't it a good thing that elemental resistance nullification could be potentially more common? Isn't it already a pretty solid defensive effort to just stack 25% in all resist and call it a day or mitigate the effects of one opponent by simply equipping all your fire/ice resistance items? The exact reason you stated in your post here also works against it, yes, charged shot is easy to apply every round with spark drive, and thats the exact reason the actual dispel effect is likely way better than elemental resistance. You're polarizing certain matchups by being able to tap off people's buffs every round which is incredibly strong. And you can do this to everyone on the enemy team with no sort of cooldown or cost, just pass a critical hit check or charged shot if you cannot.

Not only that but because of how spark drive functions you get to dispel 3-6 buffs depending on multi or single shot in a single attack every single round, while elemental resistance nullification already has a duration equal to the cooldown on OC's cooldown anyways, it was effectively permanent to begin with so it literally changes nothing for the elemental resistance debuff to just swap the two, there is no actual downside other than being able to apply it to multiple people in a row, if you really think about it.

I don't think the amount of buffs dispelled is quite clearly an issue, perhaps it can be capped, but I do know swapping it to the overcharge effect prevents abuse with spark drive, giving it more momentum sink cost as a practical requirement cause of how thunder drive works, as well as a reasonable region where you cannot actually use it again.

The only downside actually that I can think of is normalizing races that are weak to certain elements, which is more of a flaw of that particular race than a flaw of null shell itself.

Sorry but none of your points make any sense to me.
(08-19-2020, 04:25 PM)Maksimum_Fire Wrote: The other dispels are very rarely used- requinite is saved because its class-flexible and you simply lose some matchups without the ability to null off statuses.  Pressure Fletch costs Annorum, a much bigger resource than an Arcane Gun overcharge, washes away three status effects, and has no method of being passively built up like with Spark Drive or Thunder Drive.  Wash away is bad too.  

As someone who uses Spark Drive, Null Shell, and single shot weapons, I agree with the above sentiment.  Reliable mass dispelling is obviously very powerful, but it's one of the only means left of shutting down buff stacking that doesn't cost more resources than it's worth (Pressure Fletch) or rely far too much on lucky RNG (Wash Away, Requinite).  Null shell cannot purge statuses if the Magic Gunner can't make the required hit check, and can't access Spark Drive without critical strikes.  Outside of dispels and interference, or the occasional knockdown against poorly positioned teams, there isn't often a good reason to take single shot gunners into a party.

The primary things to be looked at, in my opinion, are the statuses that are dispelled, but really shouldn't be.  Knockdown immunity was already addressed, but things like Guard, Unmarkable, Silence immunity, Stun immunity, etc, go away when realistically they have no business doing so.
Like I mentioned, I don't think the amount of debuffs purged is the issue, infact I think other nulls like wash away and pressure filch could use obvious buffs to compete with Null Shell's amount of buffs purged, I just dislike that there is an almost lack of resources being spent to purge them away, its rather easy with setups that involve easily proccing spark drive like with Coyote or Bell of No Rest, multi-shots are also fairly reliable but less effective.

However, many more buffs should be exempt from purging as well, that I can agree with, there are many "Filler" buffs people gain onto themselves like arrows/musical buffs/etc. that just fill the list of buffs and make a crapshoot for dispels to roll against, obviously they are also considered necessary vs the likes of Null Shell.
I don't feel strongly either route about Null Shell, but I've always found it deflating when it suddenly removes a transformation status that took a bunch of effort to set up. I think it'd be nice if transformation statuses such as the Knightings couldn't be instantly removed by dispels in general. I don't feel this way about Install much, since it costs 3M, though.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
I think that it not purging transformations is fine as well, even if that means install gets a buff, the likes of shapeshifter is already almost completely hard countered by null shell, there's very little it can do to maintain anything it ever wants to do when it gets 3-6 of its buffs purged every single turn, and has to setup install AGAIN
I don't have an exhaustive list of things I think should or shouldn't be able to be dispelled, but one might argue you probably shouldn't spend 9 momentum to transform if you know you're facing someone with reliable dispels (with exception given to universally accessible Requinite, which, even if it's not reliable, I feel your pain on that one).

Shapeshifters, assuming they couldn't jack up their dodge high enough in time, at least have the ability to reinstall with an offensive attack via Chaotic Form. So even if their appendages won't be sticking around, they at least get to reinstall without any loss of momentum.
Not got much to comment aside from the sentiment of Null shell makes my PP feel small.
Builds that rely heavily on ele resists and builds that have positive status effects get shafted, it'll always feel unfair no matter how you paint it. Either have stupid high evasion or lose X / Y.
[Video: https://youtu.be/dUTH39_YaFk]
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/4.../Goose.png

DEV: Don't use such large images in your signature.

[Image: ff1cbab38842243c0634bf0ebaf4264f.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes FatherCrixius's post:
  • Akame